You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-10 17:34:05

damjan

Status of boot splash in Arch (fbsplash, splashy)

I wanted to ask what's the status of the support for splash while booting in Arch?

I did use fbsplash at one time, but then it wasn't quite maintained so I switched to a VGA console.

But now I'm installing Arch on my Desktop for my girlfriend and I'd prefer if it's more shiny smile

#2 2009-02-10 21:30:36

tlawson

Re: Status of boot splash in Arch (fbsplash, splashy)

You can add a splash image to grub with the splashimage option: see here.

Here is a big thread about Splashy, which you can download from the AUR.  I have problems getting it to work?

You can also use fbsplash by installing fbsplash on its own from the AUR, and it works well for me.  The wiki page has basic instructions.  If you want kernel fbcondecor support (so that the boot splash starts immediately), the easiest way is to install kernel26fbcondecor from the AUR, and add a new entry to your /boot/grub/menu.lst pointing to it rather than to your standard kernel.  this is currently a couple of kernels back (2.6.28.2 is so two weeks ago), but they don't conflict.

#3 2009-02-11 20:13:20

damjan

I ussually compile my own kernels, and I do have the fbcondecor patch applied.

My question was mainly about the Arch initscripts. It would be nice if you could wrap them in some script that will init and update the splash.
For example init(8) supports a wrapper that it uses to execute everything that it needs to start (see the man page about /etc/initscript). But I don't know about the splash side of the things.

#4 2009-02-11 20:38:17

Zibi1981

Splashy is working quite nice for me and it's easy to install and configure with our wiki. I used to have some problems with it previously (it was showing splashimage only during shutdown procedure), but after one of the updates suddenly all started to work fine smile

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

MSI Raider GE78HX 13VI-032PL

Board footer