You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-12 13:06:06

lmcmehil

computer freezes after pacman -Syu

Did a pacman -Syu and then rebooted after some programs did not work. When rebooting I get
************FILESYSTEM CHECK FAILED****************
* Please repair manually and reboot. Note that the root        *
* file system is currently mounted read-only. To remount      *
* it read-write: mount -n -o remount,rw /                            *
* When you exit the maintenance shell the will                     *
* reboot automatically.                                                      *
checked drives with fsck and get
/dev/sda3 : Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while reading block 1545
/dev/sda3 : Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read reading journal superblock
/dev/sda3 : Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while checking ext3 journal for /dev/sda3
sda is my second drive for backups and documents/music/photos
sdb is the root/boot/swap drive
I commented out /dev/sda3 in fstab and arch booted up but got to the last line which is starting kde??(don't know for sure cause it scrolls by so fast) and then I get a black screen with a steady cursor. I cannot ctl+alt+ anything to get to a tty or out of that screen. So I cannot check any logs or files and I don't know what to do now when the only thing I have been able to do is restart the computer and the same thing happens all over.
I guess I need to get a bootable cd (live cd) to get arch up and try to get a terminal to find problems. But reading the instructions for live cd it appears that I have to be in arch first. I am borrowing a windows computer to get on the internet and research.  How can I burn a live arch cd in a windows system?
Or is there something else to try??

#2 2009-02-12 14:04:21

bgc1954

Re: computer freezes after pacman -Syu

I'll bet that skottish will kindly ask you to not cross post and direct people to your other post: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=65113 smile

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

Board footer