You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-12 01:36:51

CBJ

XFCE Bluetooth?

OK, here we go: Does anyone use Bluetooth and XFCE? What programs do you use to browse, send and receive files from other Bluetooth devices (e.g. mobile phones)?

I'm having a hard time getting blueman and gnome-bluetooth to behave right in XFCE.
Any help would be appreciated.

Right now the only way to get it to do what I need is with kdebluetooth, but I'm kind-of in love with XFCE... so going back to KDE just for this seems a little stupid.

I found some CLI tips somewhere but they are not as straightforward as kdebluetooth or the gnome-bluetooth of Fedora (Fedora is not really my thing other than this)
I guess I could script it if all else fails. But browsing my phone over bluetooth is still unsolved then.

Any hint and/or solutions are welcome.

C

Edit/update:
blueman now enables me to browse the phone if I install all recommendations (nautilus etc.) and I'm able to receive files with gnome-bluetooth.
I'm still unable to send through these programs.

But it is possible to avoid both gnome- and kde-apps and still use bluetooth: (these tips can also be used together with named apps to expand/fix not-working-functions)

Getting the bluetooth address
You can see the address in blueman, or get it like this with obexftp (from extra):

obexftp -b

in a terminal.
or hcitool (part of bluez-utils):

hcitool scan

...and others

File transfer from PC
This is however easy with ussp-push (from community) in a terminal:

ussp-push <BTADDR>@ <local file> <remote file>

where <BTADDR> is the bluetooth address of you phone, something like this: 00:1B:59:3C:6A:BE

You can also use obexftp to transfer files to you phone:

obexftp -b <BTADDR> -p <file>

Or obex_test (part of openobex), but first we need to know the channel the phone uses for transfers, to get this we use sdptool (part of bluez-utils):

sdptool search FTRN

or

sdptool search OPUSH

then we connect to the channel:

$ obex_test -b 00:1B:59:3C:6A:BE 5
Using Bluetooth RFCOMM transport
OBEX Interactive test client/server.
> c
Connect OK!
Version: 0x10. Flags: 0x00
> x
PUSH filename> test
name=test, size=0
Going to send test(test), 0 bytes
Filling stream!
PUT successful!
> q

Receiving files
obex_test can also receive files (although it's less pretty than gnome-bluetooth).
First we enable OPUSH with sdptool (you can reuse the channel used to send files):

sdptool add --channel=5 OPUSH
$ obex_test -b 00:1B:59:3C:6A:BE 5
Using Bluetooth RFCOMM transport
OBEX Interactive test client/server.
> s

Now send the file from your phone.
If obex_test times-out, just press 's' again.
While receiving the file, progress are printed to the terminal in an kind-of ugly way, but it works... wink

Last edited by CBJ (2008-04-25 12:56:35)

#2 2009-02-13 15:59:33

wooptoo
Website

Re: XFCE Bluetooth?

Board footer