You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-05 05:04:11

toynbee

Cannot Mount New Digital Camera

Hey guys. Yesterday I bought a new digicam, specifically the Fujifilm FinePix J10. It seems like a pretty nice camera and the pictures it takes are pretty good. However, when I plug it in I receive this error:

http://fluffydoom.com/digicam_error.png

(Sorry for my poor image editing skills.) Anyway, seeing this I did some googling, then had a bright idea and read this page:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Digital_Cameras

I've also done a bit of searching in various forums, but what few of them returned anything had solutions that were all listed in the aforementioned wiki article. After following all of these instructions, I'm still seeing the same error. For now I'm just downloading the pictures through my macbook, but I would like to be able to upload files from my desktop (much simpler that way). Thanks in advance for your help!

#2 2008-11-05 10:11:37

GERGE
Website

Re: Cannot Mount New Digital Camera

First add yourself yo camera and plugdev groups.

Before trying what I wrote below try to reach you camera from root terminal. Open a terminal, enter su then your root password.

Enter: gphoto2 --auto-detect

Usually people have proplems with their permissions. If you can use your camera this way, then it means your driver works just fine. If not, look below:

Edit: /etc/udev/rules.d/90-libgphoto2.rules

Add this line to the end:

SYSFS{idVendor}=="040a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="05b2", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev"

[For the numbers use lsusb from terminal. First one is Vendor, latter is Product]

And do the PROGRAM fix from wiki.

This is a workaround for the cameras libgphoto2 does not support, but since there is no support it might still not work.

Last edited by GERGE (2008-11-05 10:12:33)

#3 2008-11-06 02:46:11

toynbee

Hi Gerge,

It looks like permissions are the issue:

bash-3.2# gphoto2 --auto-detect
Model                          Port                                           
----------------------------------------------------------
USB PTP Class Camera           usb:         

I was familiar with the camera group but had never heard of plugdev. It appears my box has the same problem:

bash-3.2# cat /etc/group | grep camera
camera:x:97:spice
bash-3.2# gpasswd -a spice plugdev
unknown group: plugdev
gpasswd: Permission denied.

As a temporary measure, I'm running my gphoto frontend under gksudo, but that makes me feel dirty. I'm not sure what permissions to change to allow myself to access my camera as a non-root user, especially as your recommended group doesn't seem to exist on my system. Thanks in advance for your help.

#4 2008-11-25 22:21:34

realitycoup

Also having this issue with permissions, when running gphoto2 as root can detect camera but running as user can't access. Help is appreciated.

#5 2009-02-13 20:38:33

thefatprecious

I know this is an older thread and I doubt if this is your exact situation but this was a big annoyance for me as well. The wiki thread on gphoto2 did not directly solve the issue for me but it got me started and I eventually was able resolve the issue this way:

I think if you grep your udev rules for 'usb_device' you might find a rule that is overriding your usb device permissions to some group that your user may not be a part of.

grep usb_device /etc/udev/rules.d/*

returns:

/etc/udev/rules.d/60-vboxdrv.rules:SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", GROUP="root", MODE="0664"

I have virtualbox installed and the udev rule it installed set the ownership of all my inserted usb devices to the group "root". Changing GROUP="root" to GROUP="vboxusers" resolved it in my instance since my user is a member of that group. Obviously if you don't have virtualbox installed or would like it to be another group you are a member of, such as "usb" or "camera", do that instead.

Then unplug the device, reload your udev rules or reboot, and reinsert the device:

sudo udevadm control --reload-rules

Hope this helps someone else....

cool

ILoveCandy

Board footer