You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-13 22:56:35

securitybreach
Website

Xfce4 weird occurance

Ok this is very weird.... Whenever I use Firefox in xfce4 I get a black dot on my browser screen, no matter the page. First I though maybe I have a dead pixel but I have a fairly new lcd but then I noticed it wasnt on any other programs. So for some reason I thought to log into Gnome and when opened firefox the dot was gone. So I went back into Xfce4 and the dot was back. I updated firefox to version 3.0.6 today through the repos but other than that nothing has changed. Here are some shots to explain it better. One is firefox in gnome and the other is in xfc4. I also circled the dot to show the location of it.
Gnome firefox:
screenshothackersorgwebsa7.th.png

Xfce4 firefox:
screenshothackersorgwebrx1.th.png

I even changed my background to solid white to check see if I was just not seeing it and its not there only firefox in Xfce4.

Any ideals?

Now I really confused its not just firefox but everything on Xfce4 shows the dot on the screen but not in other window managers??????????

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken
Website      Configs
Forum Admin: Bruno's All Things Linux   
securitybreach<a>archlinux.us

#2 2009-02-13 23:01:10

securitybreach
Website

Re: Xfce4 weird occurance

Gets even weirder its on my second monitor as well in Xfce4. BTW I am running Archlinux64/Xfce4.4

Thanks

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken
Website      Configs

#3 2009-02-13 23:02:06

thunderogg

It looks more like 4 pixels, 2x2. Strange ... I run Xfce and have no problem.

#4 2009-02-13 23:07:59

securitybreach
Website

Nope not dead pixels since it shows up on both of my monitors only in Xfce4.

Thanks

Last edited by securitybreach (2009-02-13 23:09:11)

Website      Configs

#5 2009-02-13 23:21:09

userlander

That is kind of weird. Do you have any compositing or anything like that turned on?

#6 2009-02-14 01:02:53

securitybreach
Website

Well just the usual xfce4 compositing. Disabling it does the same thing, so its not that. I was on #xfce4 irc support channel and it seems noone else is witnessing this strange behavior. I was told to look into filing a bug report. I have no ideal where to begin because I do not know exactly what is causing the problem. So I might look into doing that.
Something good did come out of it though....

I went with Xfc4 a couple of weeks ago because I could not  figure out how to get Openbox to work with seperate X sessions. Since I like minimalistic desktops and Xfce4 being messed up, I finally figured out how to get OpenBox to work with dual monitors. I had to run seperate Openbox sessions to get this to work:

bash-3.2$ cat .config/openbox/autostart.sh
    ## Run the system-wide support stuff
    #.$GLOBALAUTOSTART
    (sleep 2 && nitrogen --restore) &
    (sleep 2 && pypanel) &
    (sleep 2 && conky) &
    (sleep 2 && /etc/X11/Xsession) &
    (sleep 2 && DISPLAY=:0.1 openbox) &
    (sleep 2 && gnome-settings-daemon) &
    (sleep 4 &&  amixer sset Front 90% unmute && espeak -ven -s145 "Welcome Master. I am here to serve you. It is `date +%H` `date +%M`.") &

So I guess I am back to openbox although I would love to figure out what the hell causes the dot.

Thanks everyone

Last edited by securitybreach (2009-02-14 01:18:37)

Website      Configs

#7 2009-02-14 01:55:55

Wittfella

Hey a similar thing happened to me once on openbox.  I was taking some screenshots of something and later when I looked at the jpg's there was this big black dot in the title bar of one of the apps that I hadn't noticed.  I opened the same app again later and there is no dot.  I have never seen it happen again, very strange.

ss5thumb.jpg

Last edited by Wittfella (2009-02-14 01:59:44)

#8 2009-02-14 02:26:54

securitybreach
Website

Its a constant in Xfce4 now but yeah weird things seem to happen sometimes even on computers. Hehehehe

Thanks

Website      Configs

#9 2009-02-14 14:56:22

securitybreach
Website

OK I just realized when I noticed this problem......6 minutes after the UNIX time change. I posted this problem originally at 18:37 right after I noticed the dot and the UNIX time where I live was:

bash-3.2$ date -d @1234567890
Fri Feb 13 18:31:30 EST 2009

Coincidence or something more..........

Last edited by securitybreach (2009-02-14 14:57:20)

Website      Configs

Board footer