You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-14 19:24:13

toxygen

OSS, vmix and AC3 pass through

I've been battling OSS for a few weeks now.
I have an ALC889 motherboard chip, and oss-mercurial 4.1-3 package (from AUR installed).

- Vmix works fine, goes through my optical jack out to my receiver, most apps and sounds play through fine, except for mkv, dvd, and any other file with an ac3/dts stream, no passthrough is done.  All i get is the static/white noise on both headphones and my DD-ready receiver
- Turning off vmix allows ac3/dts to passthrough to the receiver, with headphones still getting the white noise.

I can live with this if this is the only way to get it to work, but I'm wondering if it's at all possible to get AC3/DTS passthrough working with OSS4 *with* vmix working.  Now i know that you cant play digital passthrough at the same time as a regular pcm/mp3 file, and i make sure i have shut off all other audio apps while playing an ac3 file, but it seems kind of a pain in the ass.

On my old nforce motherboard, which uses the nvidia soundstorm (based on OSS), the digital out always works, with ac3/dts passthrough and regular apps sharing the mixer nicely. 

So basically I'm wondering is anyone else has OSS working with AC3 passthrough while using vmix, or if you are also having to go through this "turn vmix off, play ac3, turn vmix back on to go back to normal".

the only reason i dont leave vmix off is because skype-oss only works with vmix enabled on my system, so I have to always go through the process of turning vmix on/off, closing all sound apps, restart OSS, use the app I want, and turn vmix on/off again, and restart OSS again.

I'm not interested in "try alsa" solutions because that has its own can of worms for me that I'd rather avoid.

Using the latest kernel, oss-mercurial, sound otherwise works fine for all apps, it's just the ac3 passthrough that i'm trying to get to work in vmix.

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

Board footer