You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-15 12:44:13

blackhole
Website

How to increase the number of scrollable shell/terminal lines?

Hi guys,

I've just run "pacman -Syu" and got hundreds of error lines. When I tried to scroll up to the first one by pressing "shift-pageup" I noticed, that I could only go back a couple of lines. So apparently my terminal "forgot" the first few lines.

How can I increase the number of "history lines" (no, I do not mean the bash command history) in my terminal? I'm not using any terminal emulator like xterm. I have no GUI installed on that box. It's just the normal virtual console I'm talking about.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Blackhole

Coming closer and closer to the ultimate goal: replacing boring old Windows XP desktop with shiny new Arch KDE 4 desktop. ^^
Already registered? Your vote counts!

#2 2009-02-15 13:54:43

dschrute

Re: How to increase the number of scrollable shell/terminal lines?

From what I've read, the standard config uses your vga card's memory, and is pretty limited in how much it can be changed.  I have seen it sugested that using less virtual consoles might give you more of a scrollback, but I can't confirm that.

There is also a somewhat new option with 2.6 kernels for "Soft Scrolback" that uses system RAM rather than VGA ram.  This is a kernel, compile time option so if it isn't enabled by default in Arch, you'd have to recompile your kernel with it turned on.  Google "console soft scrollback" or VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK for more info.

#3 2009-02-15 14:01:58

blackhole
Website

dschrute wrote:

From what I've read, the standard config uses your vga card's memory, and is pretty limited in how much it can be changed.  I have seen it sugested that using less virtual consoles might give you more of a scrollback, but I can't confirm that.

There is also a somewhat new option with 2.6 kernels for "Soft Scrolback" that uses system RAM rather than VGA ram.  This is a kernel, compile time option so if it isn't enabled by default in Arch, you'd have to recompile your kernel with it turned on.  Google "console soft scrollback" or VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK for more info.

Thanks a lot. I didn't expect it to be so difficult. I thought there would be some config file somewhere. Can't the shell/bash itself do the soft scrollback out of the box?

Coming closer and closer to the ultimate goal: replacing boring old Windows XP desktop with shiny new Arch KDE 4 desktop. ^^
Already registered? Your vote counts!

#4 2009-02-15 14:32:18

dschrute

You can use the screen program, which has better options for scrollback, or redirect output to a file for later viewing. 
My guess is the scrollback buffer is limited because you do have those other options.

#5 2009-02-15 17:43:07

BoppreH

I think you can redirect the output to some text file to read later.

command >> output.txt

It's not perfect, but it's easier.

#6 2009-02-15 18:24:22

moljac024

I can also recommend you start using gnu screen wink

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#7 2009-02-15 18:26:38

skottish
Forum Fellow

You got hundreds of error messages? Did the work klibc appear a bunch of times? If so:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=56431

Board footer