You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-26 05:01:26

z4ziggy
Website

[new] convertfs (edited)

converts filesystems on the fly (no need to format)

pkgname=convertfs
pkgver=18mar2002
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="convert filesystems on the fly"
url="http://tzukanov.narod.ru/convertfs/"
license=""
depends=('bash' 'util-linux' 'reiserfsprogs' 'e2fsprogs' 'jfsutils' 'xfsprogs' 'coreutils')
makedepends=()
conflicts=()
replaces=()
backup=()
install=
source=(http://tzukanov.narod.ru/convertfs/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname
  make || return 1
  mkdir $startdir/pkg/sbin
  install -D -m755 $startdir/src/$pkgname/contrib/convertfs $startdir/pkg/sbin/convertfs
  install -D -m755 $startdir/src/$pkgname/convertfs_dumb $startdir/pkg/sbin/convertfs_dumb
  install -D -m755 $startdir/src/$pkgname/devclone $startdir/pkg/sbin/devclone
  install -D -m755 $startdir/src/$pkgname/devremap $startdir/pkg/sbin/devremap
  install -D -m755 $startdir/src/$pkgname/prepindex $startdir/pkg/sbin/prepindex
}

EDIT:
1. before using this tool make sure you have at least 50% free space on your partition, or else you will be waving your data goodbye
2. and backup your data prior...;)

#2 2004-10-26 20:50:04

dp
Website

Re: [new] convertfs (edited)

pkgver=18mar2002 ? not really up-to-date tool, eh? can it handle journaling fs'?

btw: consider using "install" instead of "cp" to make sure the permissions are also set right

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-10-26 21:54:18

z4ziggy
Website

convertfs can be used to convert from ext3 to ReiserFS without formattiing, and thats basicly all i wanted wink i assume it does support other filesystems as well, since i think it uses the filesystem tools to do the conversion. i grabbed most of the info from gentoo wiki : http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Convert_Filesystems

about the install - thanks, i think thats what i'll do. i did 'man install' to learn about it, but i thought it should be used only when cp+chown are needed, and not when permissions are already set. we learn a new thing every day smile

#4 2004-10-26 23:27:36

dp
Website

z4ziggy wrote:

convertfs can be used to convert from ext3 to ReiserFS without formattiing, and thats basicly all i wanted wink i assume it does support other filesystems as well, since i think it uses the filesystem tools to do the conversion. i grabbed most of the info from gentoo wiki : http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Convert_Filesystems

thanx for explaination

if this pkg is using some other tools to do the job, then these tools must be specified in the depends=() field (else, this pkg is not working, if someone is missing a needed tool)

z4ziggy wrote:

about the install - thanks, i think thats what i'll do. i did 'man install' to learn about it, but i thought it should be used only when cp+chown are needed, and not when permissions are already set. we learn a new thing every day smile

yes, this is right, but install can be used to "make sure" something has the right permissions set (if you use cp, you rely that the original files are already having right permissions; if you use install, you do not care about the original permissions of the files, because you specified them explicitely)  -  that's why "install" is better than "cp" in build() in PKGBUILD's

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#5 2004-10-27 00:50:14

z4ziggy
Website

thanks for all your info, i know i'll use it in future packages too wink

i've also updated the dependencies - they can be changed of-course if someone doesnt need the xfs/jfs utils.

Board footer