You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-27 00:59:22

punkrockguy318
Website

Big Packages

Some packages are very large, and don't compile correctly, but a PKGBUILD can get them to work.  There's no point of hosting a arch package for this... That would be a waste of bandwith/space.  Should a spot in the Wiki be made for PKGBUILD-only packages?

For example:
Cube.  Cube needs some libraries to be installed and a startup script to run correctly.  This would be dumb to make it a package because
a:  it's huge
b:  it's not optimized (gcc 3.4 broke it)

But, a PKGBUILD can fetch the sources, set it up correctly and have those files managed by pacman on your system to keep it clean.  A package like cube would be put in the PKGBUILD only section.

Do you think this is a good idea?

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#2 2004-10-27 01:00:18

punkrockguy318
Website

Re: Big Packages

I know you can search the forums, but it'd be nice to have a set of these working PKGBUILDs organized nicely in the Wiki.

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#3 2004-10-27 04:08:50

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Big Packages

I'm not absolutely certain, but I'm 88% sure that the new AUR package management system Eric is designing will have a PKGBUILD only option for such cases.

Until that's complete, I suppose a wiki page might work...

Dusty

Board footer