You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-15 20:04:45

ninian
Website

[Solved] In Openbox xbindkeys work but not ordinary keystrokes

sad This is a really annoying problem which seemed to just spring up when I was doing some minor upgrades to an old PII system, running Openbox with fbpanel, with PCManFM handling the desktop.

Basically, once everything is loaded, I now cannot enter any ordinary keystrokes or characters into any program, though there is an on-screen flicker at the cursor (say, in Leafpad) to show a key has been pressed. However, the key combinations I have defined for xbindkeys do work!

If I kill X and return to a console, I can input as normal. I've looked and found nothing of any obvious interest in the logs, and have had a look at the dbus-launch ideas at http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=42531 to no avail. The problem is completely repeatable. Have also tried adding some extra sleep seconds to commands in autostart.sh with no effect either.

I'm running almost exactly the same setup on 5 other computers and have never encountered anything like this. Any help would be most welcome. (It's also hard to investigate when you can't input any commands!)

Note: But it looks at though keystokes defined in Openbox's rc.xml do not work

Last edited by ninian (2009-02-16 11:13:10)

#2 2009-02-15 22:56:14

Lilim

Re: [Solved] In Openbox xbindkeys work but not ordinary keystrokes

You're loading the xbindkeys with autostart? If yes - disable it and all the key combinations defined in rc.conf will work. Had the same issue, unfortunately didn't solve it in the end (not that I actually devoted any special time for finding the solution though).

Last edited by Lilim (2009-02-15 22:58:16)

#3 2009-02-16 00:46:57

ninian
Website

Lilim wrote:

You're loading the xbindkeys with autostart? If yes - disable it and all the key combinations defined in rc.conf will work. Had the same issue, unfortunately didn't solve it in the end (not that I actually devoted any special time for finding the solution though).

Thanks Lilim,

smile Yes - when I disable the loading of xbindkeys in autostart.sh, things seem to work okay. So I have just moved my keybindings to rc.xml as that seems a straightforward solution. On checking forums further, I did find a few folk who had problems with xbindkeys and WMs or DEs.

Plus, obkey (http://code.google.com/p/obkey/) is starting to make life easier!

#4 2009-02-16 11:08:32

Lilim

ninian wrote:

Thanks Lilim,

No problem smile

ninian wrote:

Plus, obkey (http://code.google.com/p/obkey/) is starting to make life easier!

Oh, didin't know about that! Thanks for the link big_smile

Oh, and add [SOLVED] to the topic.

Board footer