You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-13 22:51:53

metalfan

[SOLVED]epiphany, default applications

Hi,

after installing gimp epiphany used it as the default application for opening pdf files...very annoying,
i worked around that with this hack:

cp ~/.mozilla/firefox/3la1zdhr.default/mimeTypes.rdf ~/.gnome2/epiphany/mozilla/epiphany/

looks like gnome is in the process of ripping out the firefox backend....so this will probably be solved in the future.
but for now i would like to tell epiphany to download .nzb files to some specific dir or open it with a shell script - how do i do that?

Last edited by metalfan (2009-02-16 23:01:53)

#2 2009-02-14 03:10:00

aquila_deus
Website

Re: [SOLVED]epiphany, default applications

epiphany use the shared mime thing for opening files.

If you also use nautilus or thunar, you can change the app by right-clicking on the type of file you want to open. If you want to add your own scripts, you have to provide .desktop file for your script (check /usr/share/applications/*.desktop).

#3 2009-02-14 12:59:38

metalfan

nautilus opens .pdf files with evince, but epiphany uses the mozilla backend or something.....doesnt work witout the hack.

to reproduce install gimp+evince, set evince as default in nautilus and open a pdf in epiphany. it will start gimp

#4 2009-02-16 20:58:00

lichen

I have the same problem. From what I can see, it's because gimp is listed before evince in /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache:

grep pdf /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache

This file is generated with the update-desktop-database command. So I came up with two non-permanent solutions.

1.  Put evince before gimp in /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache and repeat each time the update-desktop-database command is run, like when you update an application.

OR

2. Remove the pdf entry from MimeType line in /usr/share/applications/gimp.desktop and run update-desktop-database as root. You've got to repeat this fix whenever you update gimp.

I hope that helps.

Board footer