You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-18 03:10:10

marduik

[SOLVED] second hard drive issue

Hello all,
  I am new to Arch. I have used the buntus, mandriva, opensuse, and a few others. however after much reading I feel Arch will be the linux I want to continue to use.
  Setting it all up was going great. I was following the beginners guide and all was good. i installed kde rebooted logged in and was quite impressed with it all working. Then it happened.

I shutdown and attached my 80gig ide drive that holds my important files. What I usually do is then copy them to my home directory and then shutdown and remove the drive. I don't want to keep my 80gig in the system as it is on its last legs and is only a tmp storage for a couple weeks.
with that I the rebooted my machine and when i click on volume in file manager I get :

An error occured while accessing 'Volume (ext3)', the system responded:
                                     org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermisionDeniedByPolicy:
                                     org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-fixed
                                     auth_admin_keep_always

Now I have been thru many threads changing policykit and been thru the hal wiki and well I just can't seem to find the solution.
thanks for the help.

Last edited by marduik (2009-02-18 22:38:19)

#2 2009-02-18 03:59:05

perbh

Re: [SOLVED] second hard drive issue

wow - I've never seen as much trouble as with policy-kit these days - with all due respect, normal users should _not_ have to adjust xml-code!

Just forget about hal and automounting and mount it as user 'root' - that is the good ole unix-way!

So just do it like this:
bash# mkdir /mnt/hd
bash# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/hd

When you copy over, you can always use the 'cp -p' option - or my personal favourite:
(cd $FROM && tar cf - .)|(cd $TO && tar xvpf -)

#3 2009-02-18 04:18:15

Ranguvar

#4 2009-02-18 22:37:41

marduik

Re: [SOLVED] second hard drive issue

ok i finally got it to workl for me .

in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf  :

<policy user="0">
   <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement"/>
   <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.VideoAdapterPM"/>
   <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.LaptopPanel"/>
   <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume"/>
   <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.Crypto"/>
</policy>

made sure to change user="0" to user="myusername"

in /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf   .. making sure $USER was changed to my user name

<match user="$USER"> <!-- replace with your login or delete the line if you want to allow all users to manipulate devices (keep security issues in mind though) -->
               <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.*">
                       <return result="yes"/>
               </match>
               <match action="hal-storage-mount-fixed-extra-options"> <!-- for internal devices mounted with extra options like a wished mount point -->
                       <return result="yes" />
               </match>
               <match action="hal-storage-mount-removable-extra-options"> <!-- for external devices mounted with extra options like a wished mount point -->
                       <return result="yes" />
               </match>
       </match>  <!-- don't forget to delete this line if you deleted the first one -->

then I rebooted and all was well again in the universe. And now I can definately say that Archlinux is a fantastic distro and I also am liking the documenttation and forums for it too. Hats off to the community.

Board footer