You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-11 17:52:08

Soul_Est

Which NetBook?

Hi fellow archers, I'm looking to get a new netbook to replace the macbook that I currently own (and despise).  I wanted to get a netbook in order to keep the overall weight of my backpack down as well as be able to run longer on a single charge (thereby preserving the battery a bit longer before it needs to be replaced).  The only problem is I don't know which one to get.  I was going to take a look at the ASUS Eee PC 1000HE (http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops … 000he.aspx), Samsung NC10 (http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops … -nc10.aspx), the MSI Wind U100 and the Acer Aspire One AOA150 (http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops … -inch.aspx).  But that's just for the 10.2" netbooks.  I was looking at the Acer Aspire One AOA150, Dell Mini 9, and the ASUS Eee PC 900 HA for in case I wanted a 8.9" netbook.  The biggest option for me is upgradability and how easy it is to upgrade the BIOS.  I've read up on all the wikis so I know what to do when I get one but I'm unfortunately lost as what to get.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
     Soul_Est

My systems are named Renton (workstation), Eureka (a Lenovo ThinkPad X200s), Maurice (DIY All-In-One), Maeter (Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1), and Linck (Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray). My LAN is called The Land of Kanan as that is the planet both characters lived on in Eureka Seven: Psalms of the Planets.

#2 2009-02-11 22:21:36

signor_rossi

Re: Which NetBook?

What will you use it for?
Samsung NC10 and Asus 1000HE have the longest battery type and are probably the best choices (Samsung is lighter, though), but what do you want to upgrade (BIOS upgrades are quite rare, bigger HDs not necessarily supported by newer BIOSes)? Then there is the 12" Samsung  VIA Nano coming which should be faster than the above but also much pricier. Are you sure a netbook will have enough computing power for you (since you are replacing a MacBook)? Even Subnotebooks are coming down in price and weight and get better endurance these days.

SignorRossi.

#3 2009-02-11 23:37:50

thatnewyorker

I have a Lenovo Ideapad S10. Works very well with Arch and cool thing is that instead of a Window's key it comes with a 'home' key. Very Linux friendly overall. big_smile

R.I.P In Pieces

#4 2009-02-12 00:05:50

JawsThemeSwimming428

I've always liked the Acer Aspire One's but the Samsung NC10 sure sounds nice. I think either would make a great netbook.

#5 2009-02-12 01:34:11

Onyros

I own an MSI Wind clone (Advent 4211), and even though I'm pretty satisfied with it, I think you can't beat the NC10, right now.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, there's also the Asus N10JC, which is sold, at least here, with an external DVD player, two batteries (3 cell and 6 cell) and has two graphics chips - Intel integrated and nVidia 9300 dedicated, you just toggle between them with a flip of a button and a reboot.

Last edited by Onyros (2009-02-12 01:34:39)

#6 2009-02-12 03:33:28

Soul_Est

Thanks so much for the replies everyone.  I'm definitely glad for the feedback and I am leaning more towards the 1000HE although I'm keeping the NC10 in mind.  The reason I want to have the upgradable BIOS is because of this: http://www.coreboot.org/Welcome_to_coreboot , http://www.openfirmware.info/Open_Firmware , http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Power_management.  I'd like to have Arch Linux controlling the power consumption completely.  I've done quite a bit of research into power management and would like to test some of what I've learned on fresher hardware.

@Onyros: I was definitely looking into the N10JC because of the graphics and extras but I know I won't need them, plus I need to keep costs down (since I'm unfortunately still a student sad) but good suggestion.

My systems are named Renton (workstation), Eureka (a Lenovo ThinkPad X200s), Maurice (DIY All-In-One), Maeter (Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1), and Linck (Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray). My LAN is called The Land of Kanan as that is the planet both characters lived on in Eureka Seven: Psalms of the Planets.

#7 2009-02-12 06:01:28

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

You need t oweigh up the features, the Acer One is good but the NC10 is my choice.... take a look at HP Mini too

If cost is an issue and you do not mind less features then Elonex One is a really cheap small net book smile

Mr Green

#8 2009-02-13 23:29:27

alex_anthony

If you want battery life, Acer Aspire Ones aren't the best
the 8.9 inch gives about 2 hours for me
the new 10 incher got sent to reviewers with a bigger battery than they're actually shipping with, should be a bit better than the 8.9 but nobody really knows

#9 2009-02-18 03:16:56

Soul_Est

Thanks for all your posts everyone.  I've chosen the ASUS Eee PC 1000HE as my netbook of choice and hope to get one soon.  I'd like to also put out this thought though.  How do you all feel about Intel's decision to put these crippled Atoms with their power hungry chipsets out to manufacturers instead of their Ultra Low Voltage Core 2 Duo chips such as in Panasonic's un-netbook, the ToughBook R8 which could last up to 7.5 hours on a single charge despite having a more powerful processor and (possibly) more powerful chipset?

#10 2009-02-19 20:00:06

cjpembo

I'd recommend spending some time typing on a netbook prior to purchase.  I bought Acer Aspire Ones for both my 4 yr old daughter and 13 yr old neice this Christmas.  I find the keyboard is too small for an adult; unless you're just web surfing.

If your studies are going to require any serious keyboarding then you'll need to factor in the cost, weight, and power consumption of an external usb keyboard and mouse.  My neice traded in her Aspire One after just one week; for something with a large screen and usable keyboard (a full size Acer laptop only costs $399).  For $50 more than an Aspire One it came with a great keyboard and much improved touchpad, not to mention double the screen area and an internal DVD writer.  The netbooks have small screens, which means you are constantly scrolling to see content optimized for 1024x768 or larger displays.  So you are forced to use an inferior trackpad and keyboard to scroll/pan around a small screen.  But at least you saved $50.

Just spend a little money and get what you need.  I remember my first computer in college: Digital Equipment Corp Pentium 90 Desktop; 8MB RAM, 16GB Harddrive, 1MB video and a 15" monitor.  It only set me back $1800; in 1990 dollars!  Computers are so cheap now that they are almost disposable.  I walked to school uphill both ways too.  Now you kids get off my lawn.

Just my 2 cents.

#11 2009-02-19 22:59:33

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Agreed with the keyboard thing -- try the smaller keyboard on the 8.9" before you buy. I can type on it, but it's slower - and i don't have big hands.

At the 8.9" size, the 900HA is a pretty good choice. Beats the Acer Aspire on battery life and hard drive space. It's pretty well built for a netbook too. Well supported under Linux too, I installed ubuntu on my girlfriend's 900HA and all of the hardware works.

James

#12 2009-02-20 08:01:32

signor_rossi

Here is a review of the Asus 1000HE, apperently it has a better keyboard than its predecessor:
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops … spx?page=1
Of the tests I have read so far the HP Mini 2130 (8,9") had the best keyboard, and the new HP Mini 2140 (10") should have an equivalent one. But both are quite expensive. You can get 2130s quite cheap now because they sell it out, but only few offers have the 6 cell battery and even less the 1280 screen, and generally the performance of the Via C7 in it is not that good, as is battery lifetime.

Board footer