You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-19 22:46:52

lastchancetosee

[Solved: GDM] GDM, SLIM, Entrance not working properly

Yeah, Arch is great! (Just wanted to get that out of my system)

On to more serious stuff: I so far had no luck whatsoever with my login managers:

SliM: drops me back to commandline when using Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, crashes when logging out, rebooting, shutting down via the XFCE menus (crashes as in: shows me a black X screen with cursor, c+a+bcksp doesn't work, switching to virtual consoles doesn't either.

Entrance: Seems to work fine, but after a successful login it just restart instead of starting xfce

GDM: Insists on using the US keyboard layout instead of my de_nodeadkeys default. Selecting Language → System Default helps, but I have to do that at every login.

All are started via inittab.

Concerning SliM: The c+a+bcksp-thing I think is a known bug? As for the crash-problem, I had a look through my xorg-logs, the only errors are these:

(II) config/hal: Adding input device HID 046a:0050
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Logitech USB Receiver
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Macintosh mouse button emulation

and I don't think those have anything to do with my problem (btw.: what is "Macintosh mouse button emulation" doing in there? And where to 5 mice come from?)

Last edited by lastchancetosee (2009-02-20 21:23:18)

My ship don't crash! She crashes, you crashed her!

#2 2009-02-20 13:44:30

iBertus

Re: [Solved: GDM] GDM, SLIM, Entrance not working properly

If you disable device hotplugging in the new xorg and setup everything manually does it help? If you are using hotplugging you need to make sure that the proper HAL policies are in place to set the keymap and configure pointing devices. You should check the wiki for help if you haven't already configure these things.

#3 2009-02-20 18:18:57

lastchancetosee

I have disabled hotplugging in xorg.conf. Keyboard is set to de, variant nodeadkeys. I haven't set any policies for HAL. Since there are mouse-related errors from config/hal in xorg.log it seems like hal is trying to detect stuff regardless of what is set in xorg.conf.

Before I installed Arch on my main harddrive I tested it on a drive that I use for, well, testing and there I had no problems with GDM (didn't try the other two). I don't remember whether I in the end used hotplugging or not, I tried both. As soon as I get home, I'll have a look at the hal-policies, evdev etc. on that drive.

#4 2009-02-20 21:21:41

lastchancetosee

OK, the GDM-problem is solved, thank you very much. I created the appropriate policy for hal and now it works. Can somebody tell me why the hotplugging-policies are used by GDM even when it is disabled in xorg.conf and the layout in X (set up as the simple testing environment as per Beginners Guide) and Xfce is the one from xorg.conf?

I guess I can just get rid of the others now. Pity about SliM, I liked that one. If anyone has any ideas as to what could cause the problems with Entrance and SliM, please post.

Last edited by lastchancetosee (2009-02-20 21:22:11)

Board footer