You are not logged in.

#26 2008-12-20 15:59:11

Spider.007

Re: [obsolete]Potential solution for xf86-video-intel update issues

You are right that the 'official' goals of Archlinux don't include being bleeding edge. But since it is a rolling distribution everyone expects new versions to become available pretty soon after they are released. The Gentoo homepage doesn't include the bleeding edge/latest software goal either:

We produce Gentoo Linux, a special flavor of Linux that can be automatically optimized and customized for just about any application or need. Extreme performance, configurability and a top-notch user and developer community are all hallmarks of the Gentoo experience.

Would you rather reinstall your pc every year to stay up-to-date, of have an occasional breakage?

#27 2009-01-05 18:36:05

kokoko3k

I've had the same problem with intel video driver, and i've had to find an outdated mirror to get my old packages back (not much space on this notebook to keep the pacman package cache).
Gentoo has a wonderful tool named "quickpkg", it takes all the files you installed from an ebuild and make a binary package.
Under gentoo i'd pretend to make a new installation, see what packages the system want to upgrade, and backup them, something like:
quickpkg xf86-video-intel
quickpkg xorg-server
...and so on.
next, i'd write:
emerge xf86-video-intel

And, if i don't like what i got, i could simply reinstall my previous packages right from my HD, without the need to keep them from the time i installed the first time.

I'm very new to arch, doesn't it has something similar? What if the good outdated repositories are gone?

pacman -Q should give all informations needed to do that...

Sorry for this little OffTopic.

Last edited by kokoko3k (2009-01-05 18:39:54)

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#28 2009-02-20 13:46:24

zakora

Hi guys,

I have this problem too, but I just realised that the old version of the Xorg package isn't available anymore (nor the other packages)... Is there anyway to get this version of the packages (if someone kept it perhaps...)?

Thanks

Last edited by zakora (2009-02-20 15:11:51)

#29 2009-02-21 07:22:34

Ronin-Sage
Website

This is the official SVN repo for [i686] xorg-server: http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/x … xtra-i686/. If you need a specific PKGBUILD, I suppose it'd just be a matter of browsing the repo, noting SVN revisions with modified notes(under Age column) that read something like "Modified 10 months ago", but you would probably need to do the same for any file in the package's SVN(and the same for dependencies). I'm in the midst of hunting down(and building) packages for the latest-possible pre-Xorg7.4 release stuff. I'll post back here when/if I get things working(945GM chipset).

#30 2009-02-22 03:07:22

Slack

thanks for report the keyboard issue!

Excuse my poor english

Board footer