You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-21 15:36:36

IMG

[SOLVED PAR/LY]kde 4.2 -- akonadi configuration + kmail crash problems

Hey guys,

Recently i decided to give kde 4.2 a try , (been using gnome for months) and after the update i have these two distinct (i think) problems with kmail.

When i run kmail  ,  it tries to start akonadi server, which fails due to configuration issues (see below) . After that , when i try to send an email it *always* crashes. Here is the output either of the shell or the popup error dialog:

1)  akonadi misconfiguration(?)

From the pop up

Akonadi Server Self-Test Report
===============================

Test 1:  SUCCESS
--------

Database driver found.
Details: The QtSQL driver 'QMYSQL' is required by your current Akonadi server configuration.
The following drivers are installed: QSQLITE, QMYSQL3, QMYSQL, QODBC3, QODBC, QPSQL7, QPSQL.
Make sure the required driver is installed.

File '/akonadiserverrc' could not be opened

Test 2:  ERROR
--------

MySQL server not found.
Details: You currently have configured Akonadi to use the MySQL server ''.
Make sure you have the MySQL server installed, set the correct path and ensure you have the necessary read and execution rights on the server executable. The server executable is typically called 'mysqld', its locations varies depending on the distribution.

Test 3:  ERROR
--------

Executing the MySQL server failed.
Details: Executing the MySQL server '' failed with the following error message: ''

Test 4:  SUCCESS
--------

No current MySQL error log found.
Details: The MySQL server did not report any errors during this startup into '/mysql.err'.

Test 5:  SUCCESS
--------

MySQL server default configuration found.
Details: The default configuration for the MySQL server was found and is readable at <a href='/usr/share/config/akonadi/mysql-global.conf'>/usr/share/config/akonadi/mysql-global.conf</a>.

File content of '/usr/share/config/akonadi/mysql-global.conf':
#
# Global Akonadi MySQL server settings,
# These settings can be adjusted using $HOME/.config/akonadi/mysql-local.conf
#
# Based on advice by Kris Köhntopp <kris@mysql.com>
#
[mysqld]
skip_grant_tables
skip_networking

# strict query parsing/interpretation
# TODO: make Akonadi work with those settings enabled
#sql_mode=strict_trans_tables,strict_all_tables,strict_error_for_division_by_zero,no_auto_create_user,no_auto_value_on_zero,no_engine_substitution,no_zero_date,no_zero_in_date,only_full_group_by,pipes_as_concat
#sql_mode=strict_trans_tables

# use InnoDB for transactions and better crash recovery
default_storage_engine=innodb
# case-insensitive table names, avoids trouble on windows
lower_case_table_names=1
character_set_server=latin1
collation_server=latin1_general_ci
table_cache=200
thread_cache_size=3
log_bin=mysql-bin
expire_logs_days=3
#sync_bin_log=0
# error log file name, relative to datadir
log_error=mysql.err
log_warnings=2
# log all queries, useful for debugging but generates an enormous amount of data
#log=mysql.full
# log queries slower than n seconds, log file name relative to datadir
log_slow_queries=mysql.slow
long_query_time=1
# log queries not using indices, debug only, disable for production use
log_queries_not_using_indexes=1
# maximum blob size
max_allowed_packet=32M
max_connections=256
# makes sense when having the same query multiple times
# makes no sense with prepared statements and/or transactions
query_cache_type=0
query_cache_size=0

innodb_file_per_table=1
innodb_log_buffer_size=1M
innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=1M
# messure database size and adjust
# SELECT sum(data_length) as bla, sum(index_length) as blub FROM information_schema.tables WHERE table_schema not in ("mysql", "information_schema");
innodb_buffer_pool_size=80M
# size of average write burst, keep Innob_log_waits small, keep Innodb_buffer_pool_wait_free small (see show global status like "inno%", show global variables)
innodb_log_file_size=64M
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=2

Test 6:  SKIP
--------

MySQL server custom configuration not available.
Details: The custom configuration for the MySQL server was not found but is optional.

Test 7:  ERROR
--------

MySQL server configuration not found or not readable.
Details: The MySQL server configuration was not found or is not readable.

Test 8:  SUCCESS
--------

akonadictl found and usable
Details: The program '/usr/bin/akonadictl' to control the Akonadi server was found and could be executed successfully.
Result:
XdgBaseDirs::saveDir: failed to create directory ' "/root/.local/share/akonadi" ' 
XdgBaseDirs::saveDir: failed to create directory ' "/root/.local/share/akonadi" ' 
Akonadi Control: running
Akonadi Server: stopped

Test 9:  SUCCESS
--------

Akonadi control process registered at D-Bus.
Details: The Akonadi control process is registered at D-Bus which typically indicates it is operational.

Test 10:  ERROR
--------

Akonadi server process not registered at D-Bus.
Details: The Akonadi server process is not registered at D-Bus which typically means it was not started or encountered a fatal error during startup.

Test 11:  SKIP
--------

Protocol version check not possible.
Details: Without a connection to the server it is not possible to check if the protocol version meets the requirements.

Test 12:  ERROR
--------

No resource agents found.
Details: No resource agents have been found, Akonadi is not usable without at least one. This usually means that no resource agents are installed or that there is a setup problem. The following paths have been searched: '/usr/share/akonadi/agents'. The XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable is set to '/usr/share:/usr/local/share:/opt/kde/share', make sure this includes all paths where Akonadi agents are installed to.

Directory listing of '/usr/share/akonadi/agents':
distlistresource.desktop
icalresource.desktop
imaplibresource.desktop
kabcresource.desktop
kcalresource.desktop
knutresource.desktop
localbookmarksresource.desktop
maildirresource.desktop
mailthreaderagent.desktop
nepomukcontactfeeder.desktop
nepomukemailfeeder.desktop
nepomuktagresource.desktop
nntpresource.desktop
strigifeeder.desktop
vcarddirresource.desktop
vcardresource.desktop

Environment variable XDG_DATA_DIRS is set to '/usr/share:/usr/local/share:/opt/kde/share'

Test 13:  SUCCESS
--------

No current Akonadi server error log found.
Details: The Akonadi server did not report any errors during its current startup.

Test 14:  SUCCESS
--------

No previous Akonadi server error log found.
Details: The Akonadi server did not report any errors during its previous startup.

Test 15:  SUCCESS
--------

No current Akonadi control error log found.
Details: The Akonadi control process did not report any errors during its current startup.

Test 16:  SUCCESS
--------

No previous Akonadi control error log found.
Details: The Akonadi control process did not report any errors during its previous startup.

From the shell output:

kmail(14979) KWallet::Wallet::openWallet: Pass a valid windows to KWallet::Wallet::openWallet().
kres-migrator(14981)/libakonadi Akonadi::Control::Private::exec: Could not start/stop Akonadi!
XdgBaseDirs::saveDir: failed to create directory ' "/root/.config/akonadi" '
XdgBaseDirs::saveDir: failed to create directory ' "/root/.local/share/akonadi/db_data" '
kmail(14979)/kresources: Akonadi migration failed!
kmail(14979)/kresources: command was: ("kres-migrator", "--interactive-on-change", "--type", "contact", "--omit-client-bridge")
kmail(14979)/kresources: exit code: 0
kmail(14979)/kresources: stdout: ""
kmail(14979)/kresources: stderr: ""
QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.
kmail(14979): No language dictionaries for the language: "en_US"

and
2) this is the output at the shell once i write a mail and i press send.

kmail: relocation error: /usr/lib/libgpgme++-pthread.so.2: symbol gpgme_cancel_async, version GPGME_1.1 not defined in file libgpgme-pthread.so.11 with link time reference

and a crash follows.

Well , i tried to manually create some of the directories, with no success. To be honest,  i mostly care to fix this crashing issue since i cant send any email after the upgrade.Any pointers folks?

Cheers,
IMG

Last edited by IMG (2009-02-22 12:02:50)

#2 2009-02-22 00:51:22

toxygen

Re: [SOLVED PAR/LY]kde 4.2 -- akonadi configuration + kmail crash problems

If you're using kdemod, i suggest you go to the chakra forums for more assistance. 
I tried kdemod4 a week or two ago, and I found kmail completely buggy, particularly switching from one account to another (apparently there's a bug with imap accounts which causes constant crashing/lost emails), which was a big issue for me so I'm back on kdemod3.
as far as your issue, have you tried turning off the akonadi service?  from my understanding (from what i've read in the chakra forums), akonadi is either a resource hog or not all that implemented with kontact/kmail, though it is improving, steadily.

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#3 2009-02-22 11:27:35

IMG

Hey toxygen,

thanks for the reply. No i am not using kdemod (actually never tried it, maybe i should try it some day) . The thing about turning akonadi off is that it is not that clear to me how to do it properly.

Looking around at System settings --> advanced --> Akonadi server configuration  , it clearly states that akonadi server is not running (due to bad configuration). I dont see anything like "switch off Akonadi server" either.
Trying System settings--> advanced --> Kresources , it tries a couple of times to start the Akonadi server (fails ofcourse) , and then i get to the Kresources dialog. But i cant see anything there related to Akonadi, or something like "do not use Akonadi".

Also  removing the package ignoring the dependencies with

pacman -Rd akonadi

has this result on shell

KWallet::Wallet::openWallet: Pass a valid window  to KWallet::Wallet::openWallet().
kres-migrator: error while loading shared libraries: libakonadiprotocolinternals.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
kmail(23835)/kresources: Akonadi migration failed!
kmail(23835)/kresources: command was: ("kres-migrator", "--interactive-on-change", "--type", "contact", "--omit-client-bridge")
kmail(23835)/kresources: exit code: 127
kmail(23835)/kresources: stdout: ""
kmail(23835)/kresources: stderr: ""

So the kde still looks for it(expected). Btw it doesnt seem there to be a way to remove it without the -d option at pacman , since it is required by kdepimlibs , which in turn are required by many other kde packages.So how do you go about switching it off?

Another strange thing i noticed after googling about the issue is that usually if i get it right, the akonadi configuration files should be located at ~/.config/Akonadi  , so why is it trying to do its stuff at /root/.config/akonadi in my machine ?? Am i somehow causing it to run as root?

IMG

#4 2009-02-22 12:01:09

IMG

Hey i got an update regarding this crash:

kmail: relocation error: /usr/lib/libgpgme++-pthread.so.2: symbol gpgme_cancel_async, version GPGME_1.1 not defined in file libgpgme-pthread.so.11 with link time reference

looks like the new kmail that ships with kde 4.2(or 4.1.4 -- needs investigation) is using an updated gpgme library , so simply upgrading the gpgme library gets you rid of the crashes (at least in my case)

pacman -S gpgme

the version gpgme-1.1.7-2 from the extra repository seems to be fine. At the kde forums someone noted that he had to upgrade from gpgme 1.1.6 to 1.1.8 . So playing around with this library's version could possibly solve your crashing problems aswell! Should i notify someone regarding this , so that with an upgrade to kde4.2(or probably kde 4.1.4- this needs investigation) library gpgme gets also updated ?

The akonadi issue still troubles me though, however i dont really mind to force it out of the way with a

pacman -Rd akonadi

since now my kmail isnt crashing smile

Marking this thread partially solved.

Hope that helped
IMG

Board footer