You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-22 15:40:10

nesna

Arch Linux FTP/HTTP install error

Overwhelmed with joy for the arch linux distro I tried to peruade one of my cousins to try out arch linux. Even though a bit apprehensive at first, she was willing to give it a try after I showed her some of my "arch-fu" magic. Basically stuff we in the arch world take for granted that are very hard to do in the windows world.

She said she wanted to try it out in virtual box before she went on to install it on her system as the sole OS. So I set up virtual box. Create a virtual machine and plug in the x86 ftp/http install iso and everything is running fine. I setup the network, partition the disc, mount the partitions with root and swap, select the ftp mirror for getting the packages and then when it came to selecting the packages, I ran into an error...

Whenever I tried to select the package, the installer contacts one of the chosen mirrors and after a few seconds comes back with the following message.....

[*] Error:     ^
[*] Expected ^
[*] at           ^
[*] least       ^
[*] 7            ^
[*] tokens     ^
[*] for          ^

I tried restarting the installation atleast 15 times.... I went through this thread at this url http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=52584 and still haven't been able to resolve it. The setup at her place is 'ethernet over pppoe' but im sure that has nothing to do with this because virtual box is managing the internet connection to the guest OS(arch linux)... and the host OS (windos) is providing internet connectivity to virtual box.

The CD I used for the install was downloaded before Jan 26 2009. Im not sure if that info help but its there just in case.

could someone please help me with the solution or atleast hint me in right direction? thanks.

#2 2009-02-22 16:01:34

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Arch Linux FTP/HTTP install error

The best solution would be to use the latest 2009.02 iso instead.

#3 2009-02-22 19:56:41

dannytatom
Website

Re: Arch Linux FTP/HTTP install error

I had the same problem and I can't remember exactly how I fixed it, but I think you have to redo the network configuration, restart, then redo network again.

dnyy in IRC & Urban Terror

Board footer