You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-19 18:29:37

skwo

Few Openbox problems

Hey there.
I really like to use openbox (Its a bug in me, that I must go simple, light, minimal in everything).
But I have some problems with it:
1. I use 3 languages, in Gnome I easily switch between them using Alt+Shift, in Openbox I have no idea how to configure it. I would like to use one combination to switch between them all, and not using alt+shift+1 for first layout, ...+2 for second and etc.

2. The same problem goes to Pypanel, while it do show English correct other languages (Russian and Hebrew) it show cubes instead.

3. Is there a way to use screen saver and power saving mode without executing gnome-screensaver and gnome-power-manager?

Thanks a lot!

ArchLinux x86_64 on Dell Latitude E5410

#2 2009-02-19 19:32:10

konni

Re: Few Openbox problems

1. use the command setxkbmap LN (us,de, ... ) and map it to a key-sequence
2. no idea, locales are installed?
3. install xscreensaver

#3 2009-02-19 19:35:58

skwo

konni wrote:

1. use the command setxkbmap LN (us,de, ... ) and map it to a key-sequence
2. no idea, locales are installed?
3. install xscreensaver

Thanks for the answers
1. How do I map it to a key-sequence?
2. Yes, In Gnome everything works. Probably bad font or something like this.
3. As I know xscreensaver don't manage the power saving mode, am I right?

#4 2009-02-19 20:17:33

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

1. try Obkey.. you will find it on forums

Mr Green

#5 2009-02-19 20:18:22

Ranguvar

1.) You edit rc.xml. Here's the docs (http://icculus.org/openbox/index.php/Help:Bindings http://icculus.org/openbox/index.php/He … roduction), and here's some [url=http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openbox#Application_Launchers]examples[url].

#6 2009-02-19 20:20:30

brisbin33
Website

1. Obkey is a nice GUI tool but i prefer editing .config/openbox/rc.xml directly.  there are examples in it
2. Gnome may have been handling your LANG or LC_ALL variables for you; try exporting them in .bashrc
3. pm-utils?

#7 2009-02-19 20:46:20

skwo

Well sorry for being that stupid, but I don't understand how I can bind 1 key to execute 3 different commands?
I can bind alt+shift+1/2/3 to execute setxkbmap 1/2/3 but thats not what Im looking for. Maybe I misunderstood something, sorry sad

Ill try to export my LANG (.bashrc: EXPORT $LANG right?), LC_ALL is empty.

And how I can use pm-utils to turn off my monitor after X minutes of not using it?

Again sorry if I misunderstood something sad

#8 2009-02-19 20:54:21

brisbin33
Website

is there a setxkbmap command to cycle to the next/previous map (that'd be 1 or 2 bindings).  then the 1, 2, 3 like you said.  i'm not familiar with it so i dunno... likewise i've never used pm-utils but we have a nice wiki on it.  try "man xset" for the turn off monitor after X minutes bit.  xset -s TIME (in seconds) i believe is what you want.  put that in .xinit or autostart.sh.

here's my bashrc lines if it'll help:

export LC_ALL=en_US.utf8
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

now that i think about it though, that may not help as you'll be changing that value on the fly so to speak.

you could also write a small script or two to do the desired behavior (if keymap is 1 set keymap to 2, if keymap is 2, set to 3, if is 3 set to 1, etc, etc) then add the export LANG/LC_ALL values to the same script and execute the script on a key command from rc.xml

this is getting rather complicated...

#9 2009-02-19 21:06:18

skwo

Yea I tough about writing a script...
Seems like staying in gnome is easier sad
Ill see what I can do.
Thanks for help

[edit]
Well my problems solved if I execute: gnome-settings-daemon, gnome-power-manager, gnome-screensaver
Its overheat for about 10MB but only this way everything works as I want
[/edit]

Last edited by skwo (2009-02-19 21:55:04)

#10 2009-02-20 18:39:22

jumzi

Hey!

I actully had the very same problem this morning (just migrated from ubuntu)

You solved it... But it was rather bloated... If you, or someone else, would like a little "simpler" way i would recommend to go via the xorg.conf and set your keyboard settings directly instead of relying on hot-plugging. That way you can set the keyboard layouts and variants you want with a key to toggle them, all this without relying on weird Gnome-ware!

Here is an example of my "keybord xorg.conf"

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "WaveBoard"
    Driver "Kbd"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc104" 
    Option "XkbLayout" "se,se" 
    Option "XkbVariant" "svorakA5,"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "XkbOptions" "grp:caps_toggle"
EndSection

In my config i first set the keyboard identifier to use in my "ServerLayout" (Mandatory)
Then The driver for my keyboard (also Mandatory, "keyboard" works aswell)
My "XkbModel" (pc104 makes sure i use the xfree86 file in "/usr/share/X11/xkb/keycodes/" so i can rebind the caps, esc and alt gr keys there)

Then i set the layouts i wanna use and toggle in between (in this case "se", and "se" with the svorakA5 variant, which is a layout based on the dvorak layout, but with improved access of special chars, ie ";/(){}[]?&<>" etc. Made by Machnus at www.aoeu.info)

The variant and language choices has to come in order, here my fist layout is "se" with the svorakA5 variant, then the second is just ordinary "se" (swedish qwerty). If i would have wanted "ru" with the dvorak variant after the just "se" layout then i would have written:

Option "XkbLayout" "se,se,ru" 
    Option "XkbVariant" "svorakA5,,dvorak"

Remember that if you don't wanna use variants at all, just ignore it! But if you wanna use just one layout with a variant, you'll have to set variants for all layouts (and for the layouts you don't want any variants, just put nothing in between the commas in the XkbVariant variable.)

Then in the next row i've set "WaveBoard" to be my main keyboard (very optional, unless you use multiple keyboards)

And in the XkbOptions the magic of toggeling happens! just replace caps to w/e key you want, for instance alt_shift. (but i prefer caps since i've mapped the "esc" key to caps and i absolutely never use caps)

And voliá! a "simple" solution in the spirit of Arch

For more reading on XkbLayouts: http://www.xfree86.org/current/XKB-Config2.html AND don't forget the local man page wink

Signed Jumzi! \o/

Last edited by jumzi (2009-02-20 18:43:35)

#11 2009-02-20 22:38:50

skwo

My current xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us,il,ru"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbOption" "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
EndSection

And it does not work...

#12 2009-02-20 22:55:36

jumzi

Do'H i seemed to have forgotten! You have to explicitly disable the hot-plugging!

add this to xorg.conf

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option  "AutoAddDevices"  "False"
EndSection

and grp:alt_shift_toggle should be enough, and the XkbRules shouldn't be needed either. Make sure you have Section "ServerLayout" configured well or it might seem like a freeze when you start X, cause you wont be able to use your keyboard and mouse.

On my system, after configuring my keyboard, the mouse followed. That's probably just because they both go on the same dongle and where bought as a pack (altough this is only a half-qualified guess, on other system you probably gonna have to configure your mouse manully in the xorg.conf aswell, if you wanna use a mouse that is.)

#13 2009-02-22 20:21:05

skwo

Wow thanks!
At least now I can change layout! However I still would prefer per application layout, but this is good also! Thanks!

Board footer