You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-21 22:03:24

fede

HAL, PolicyKit and writing to ntfs (internal) volumes

Hello,

I have problems writing to internal (ie fixed) ntfs partitions, but I can write to external ones, since the hal update. I've been trying to follow the wiki and posts such as this one, and I've got external (usb) ntfs drives working fine.

The strangest thing is that altough I can't create a new folder or file within the internal ntfs partitions, I can at least delete some files and folders.

No matter what I do, mount has never reported the internal ntfs partitions as mounted with type 'fuseblk', they are always mounted as 'ntfs' (not 'ntfs-3g'...)

My current 20-ntfs-config-write-policy.fdi:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> 
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
   <device>
       <match key="volume.fstype" string="ntfs">
           <merge key="volume.fstype" type="string">ntfs-3g</merge>
           <merge key="volume.policy.mount_filesystem" type="string">ntfs-3g</merge>
           <append key="volume.mount.valid_options" type="strlist">uid=</append>
           <append key="volume.mount.valid_options" type="strlist">gid=</append>
           <append key="volume.mount.valid_options" type="strlist">umask=</append>
           <append key="volume.mount.valid_options" type="strlist">dmask=</append>
           <append key="volume.mount.valid_options" type="strlist">fmask=</append>
           <append key="volume.mount.valid_options" type="strlist">locale=</append>
           <append key="volume.mount.valid_options" type="strlist">utf8</append>
           </match>
       </match>
   </device>
</deviceinfo>

and my PolicyKit.conf:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- XML -*- -->

<!DOCTYPE pkconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Configuration 1.0//EN"
"http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/PolicyKit/1.0/config.dtd">

<!-- See the manual page PolicyKit.conf(5) for file format -->

<config version="0.1">
  <match user="fede">
    <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.*">
      <return result="yes"/>
    </match>
    <match action="hal-storage-mount-fixed-extra-options"> <!-- for internal devices mounted with extra options like a wished mount point -->
      <return result="yes" />
    </match>
    <match action="hal-storage-mount-removable-extra-options"> <!-- for external devices mounted with extra options like a wished mount point -->
      <return result="yes" />
    </match>
  </match>
</config>

I've also tried many similar variations on these config files (starting with those listed in the post linked above & the wiki), to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 2009-02-21 22:08:03

Skripka

Re: HAL, PolicyKit and writing to ntfs (internal) volumes

Here's snippit of my policykit:

<config version="0.1">
  <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable">
    <return result="yes" />
  </match>
  <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.eject-removable">
    <return result="yes" />
  </match>
  <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-fixed">
    <return result="yes"/>
  </match>
  <match action="hal-storage-mount-fixed-extra-options">
    <return result="yes"/>
  </match>
  <match action="hal-storage-mount-removable-extra-options">
    <return result="yes"/>
  </match>
</config>

I did some fiddling with it, and until I had the above I couldn't mount my internal vfat or ntfs HDDs...the catch being with thie above fix, my Quickaccess widget on KDEmod is b0rked now....oh, well-win some loose some.

#3 2009-02-22 19:19:17

fede

Thanks Skripka, but that doesn't fix it for me... could you please post your /etc/hal/fdi/policy/20-ntfs-config-write-policy.fdi, if you have one?

Thanks!

#4 2009-02-22 19:27:14

Skripka

fede wrote:

Thanks Skripka, but that doesn't fix it for me... could you please post your /etc/hal/fdi/policy/20-ntfs-config-write-policy.fdi, if you have one?

Thanks!

Alas, I haven't got one.  This box was a straight Arch with KDEmod install with the 2009.02 FTP ISO-with no other tinkering apart from the policy kit to get my 2 other internal HDDs to mount.

#5 2009-02-22 19:38:31

bgc1954

Maybe something to do with this?   http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12397

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#6 2009-02-22 21:11:49

fede

Thanks for your replies,

Skripka: so maybe I'll try deleting this file (which I had to add to get external ntfs-3g mounts working...) and see what happens.

bgc: I'd seen that bug before and it definitively looks like it, though the answers that worked for them don't work here...

Last edited by fede (2009-02-22 21:12:06)

Board footer