You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-26 22:12:36

linuxguy

network

hey i am a new user to arch.  i have an lenovo x200 laptop.  now it seems like my ethernet card is unsupported by arch (i plug in my ethernet cable and i get the green light but no orange) i try pacman -Sy and get nothing and i open links and try www.google.com and it says it cant find the host.

the laptop also has a wireless card that uses madwifi but i couldnt relly figure out how to use that either.  the live disk has madwifi (i dont know if it is the correct version) but setting it up manually from the command line has always been confusing for me.

i remember back a long time ago there was an 80 page installation guide in the wiki similar to how gentoo does.  seems to be broken up into many segments now. 

so ya it is hard to do anything without network support.

anyhow does anyone have any ideas how i can get up with an installation thats great.  i chose arch because i want to go super lightweight, (probably will rock with openbox or fluxbox or something like that) which should give me great battery life especially if i scale down the processor really far and stuff.  i like that it is optimized for i6** instead of i3**.

any ideas or suggestions would be great.  thanks.

#2 2008-10-26 22:26:46

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: network

X200 === I'm jealous. Although what I'm really drooling over lately is the new X300. My X60 feels old. :-(

Anyway, I did a search and it looks like your ethernet controller would be supported by a newer kernel. I'm not certain what kernel is on the latest install CD, but support for that card is supposedly as recent as 2.6.26. There is work on a new installer release in progress so you may be best off hoping it works on the new release. You could also just install using the current installer and update the kernel manually by downloading the package on a different computer or your Windows partition (ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/core/os/i686/ke … pkg.tar.gz) and installing with pacman -U kernel26-2.6.27.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz

To get the wireless working have a look at this page to understand the wireless tools:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_Setup

Dusty

#3 2009-02-07 22:24:12

linuxguy

ok i took a break from arch linux for a while because of those issues.  i am taking another look now hoping that i can figure it out. 

i am downloading kernel26-2.6.28.3-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz from that link now.

so i am assuming that this is ath5k.  i hope i dont have to play around with the country code.

#4 2009-02-07 22:50:14

linuxguy

installing the package faield because of missing dependencies:

kernel26 requires mkinitcpio>=0.5.2
ipw3945 requires kernel26<2.6.26
madwifi requiers kernel26<2.6.26
ndiswrapper requieres kernel26<2.6.26
wlan-ng26 requieres kernel26<2.6.26

i dont need all those apps (like ndiswrapper) but i think i definetely need at least to cover the first and third one there right? (that would be assuming the others were uninstalled, not sure if i need them, i selected some extra stuff in the setup)

thanks,

edit: btw my system didnt come with windows, was kinda lucky there.  last time i tried it i also tried connecting it by wire and it didnt work either.  i also tried right now connecting it over lan to my opensuse box (not sure if i have to change settings on opensuse but there was no link light, just power)

not sure what to do.

thanks for the help.

Last edited by linuxguy (2009-02-07 22:52:56)

#5 2009-02-07 23:54:17

mcmillan

You'll need to download mkinitcpio and madwifi the same way you got the kernel and install them at the same time. If you're using madwifi you won't need the packages for ndiswrapper wlan-ng26 and ipw3945 so you can remove these with pacman -R

#6 2009-02-08 12:50:02

konni

uhm, stupid question maybe.
if you do 'ifconfig -a' are there any devices listed? did you do 'dhcpcd eth0'  after plugging in your cable?

#7 2009-02-08 19:20:51

linuxguy

ok here are my current state of affairs:

i followed a tip fro the guide here
http://itgen.blogspot.com/2008/12/insta … enovo.html

and used the image from here (version 2008.12)
http://downloads.archlinux.de/iso/archboot/

which had a more up to date kernel.  that kernel supported my wireless card (i didnt do any of the firmware stuff he did though since it doesnt seem to have needed it in this version since it worked in the installer).  i was able to boot into the disk and switch to another virtual console in the install process and set up the wireless with

iwconfig
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid "D-link" key <my key>
dhcpcd wlan0

and it worked so i was able to install the packages from my closest mirror (rit) just fine instead of from the disk.

ok so i finish the install (i just write out the defaults for the config files for now).  reboot. and try to connect to wireless again (using the same commands as before) and it doesnt work now.  iwconfig lists that it is set up to d-link and with the right key and when i do dhcpcd it gave me the same ip as before and if i do iwlist it lists all the networks around me but when i ping -c 3 www.google.com nothing happens, it cant find it.

so now i connected the ethernet cord between my opensuse desktop and the laptop (didnt change anything on opensuse, not sure if i need to play around with anything in yast) and did dhcpcd eth0 but that timed out.  i do get a link light on it though now.  maybe i will try again at my router but i would rather use wireless and i dont see why it isnt working now when it did in the installer and it seems to be connected just not receiving the information.

any ideas?

ifconfig -a lists eth0, lo, wlan0, wmaster0-00

Last edited by linuxguy (2009-02-08 19:26:52)

#8 2009-02-08 20:31:31

Xiong Chiamiov
Website

I know I had problems with my wireless card before because the driver for it was installed on the install CD, but wasn't chosen by default for the actual install (and I didn't include it the first time).

Does ifconfig list wlan0 after you bring it up?  Have you tried connecting to the networking using the magical gnome-network-manager?  It's not the lightest thing on dependencies, and you'll need a GUI to be able to use it, but it might work... although I just realized that you'd have to get X and all of its dependencies installed first, which could be quite a pain.  Try turning off the encryption to your network temporarily?

#9 2009-02-08 20:43:17

linuxguy

Does ifconfig list wlan0

ya.  iwconfig does too and it will list the right info on it.

ya i cant use gnome network manager since i dont have it installed and dont really want gnome, i was thinking about trying LXDE since it is light.

i dont see why i would need to turn off encryption though, since it completed the DHCPCD correctly and assigned me 192.168.0.102 so it must have connected to the router.  and iwlist is capable of scanning for the networks so the driver must be working properly or else it wouldnt have been able to scan. 

i feel like it must be really close but i am just missing something.  should i edit any of the config files like rc.conf for anything?

#10 2009-02-11 01:59:14

linuxguy

any ideas?  it feels so close but so very far.

#11 2009-02-15 03:38:19

linuxguy

by the way if i ping 192.168.0.1 it knows the host but there is 100% packet loss.  it is being leased 192.168.0.102 and it can ping 192.168.0.102 just fine.

i want to try arch but things always seem to be getting in the way.

#12 2009-02-23 01:47:30

linuxguy

tried again iwth the recent stable release (2009.02) and it still doesnt work for me.  tried the same thing.  it works in the live disk but not in the installed system.  help please.

Board footer