You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-24 12:15:38

hrsvan

kde4 Folder View crashes kde when trying to change icon

As said in the 'subject', when I try to change the icon of a folder by rightclicking on the folder -> properties -> click on the folder icon... and wait for about five seconds, my kde crashes. This seems strange smile I tried to reinstall kde, but still the same behavior.
Have anyone else experienced this? might it be a bug? or what can I do to repair this?
Thanks in advance

#2 2009-01-24 17:24:38

draugdel

Re: kde4 Folder View crashes kde when trying to change icon

Works for me (I'm on 4.2 from testing).

#3 2009-01-29 22:57:47

hrsvan

I got kde 4.2 today and the problem even got worse, now I cannot go into any configuration-menu... and at one point I couldn't even get into kde..! I installed gnome, which runs just fine, but I want back and toy around with kde. I've tried completely removing kde from my computer, but the same problem I get when I install it again.

I did a 'locate kde' which shows a lot of kde-things even though it should be removed from the system.

I am thinking of doing a complete archlinux reinstall, but that is against my principles... so, how can I completely remove kde from my computer and start all over again?

#4 2009-01-29 23:34:03

Salamander1978

hrsvan wrote:

I got kde 4.2 today and the problem even got worse, now I cannot go into any configuration-menu... and at one point I couldn't even get into kde..! I installed gnome, which runs just fine, but I want back and toy around with kde. I've tried completely removing kde from my computer, but the same problem I get when I install it again.

I did a 'locate kde' which shows a lot of kde-things even though it should be removed from the system.

I am thinking of doing a complete archlinux reinstall, but that is against my principles... so, how can I completely remove kde from my computer and start all over again?

Oh boy, no need for this.  It won't even help you a thing.  Just mv you .kde4 folder to i.e. _kde4_bak.  This resets completely.

HTH,
-- Maik

#5 2009-01-30 09:07:31

hrsvan

Well, unfortunately I have tried this without any luck. The only difference between kde4 being there or not is the start-up time.
I can use kde fairly well as it is, but I cannot toy around with the kde-effects.

#6 2009-02-23 02:30:22

darzephyr

If you are still experiencing the crash you can try to obtain an useful backtrace: http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tut … sh_reports, and report the crash (with the most details about your system and configuration you can) at https://bugs.kde.org. Thanks

Last edited by darzephyr (2009-02-23 02:30:35)

Darío Andrés
KDE BugSquad Team and Developer

Board footer