You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-18 14:27:04

macros78

Dell Latitude C400 suspend problem

Hello there.

Long time I have problems with pm-suspend or s2ram on my laptop. There are 2 kinds of behaviour:

1. - system won`t resume - I`ve tried all quirks for pm-suspend. One combination of quirks gives me situation 2.

2.-  system resume BUT graphic is messed up - it means in consele everything works, but in X when I move the window, the window itself is invisible, or almost invisible and performance is poor. Redraw of this window takes ages... sad

Do you have same laptop or chipset ? (intel i830) Is suspend to ram working reliably for you? I would like to know if it is just my fault, or if there is a bug somewhere.

I have to tell that my system was reliably suspending with 2.6.22 kernels...

#2 2008-09-21 19:22:12

macros

Re: Dell Latitude C400 suspend problem

Heeeee hooooo. smile Problem solved. The cure to my second problem was to add "noapic" option to kernel command line. big_smile So my lappy is fully working again. Finally... And the problem number one is solved as well. The problem was as usual between chair and keyboard... cool

And apparently I have two logins here...

#3 2008-12-13 14:26:15

benji.ijneb

macros wrote:

Heeeee hooooo. smile Problem solved. The cure to my second problem was to add "noapic" option to kernel command line. big_smile So my lappy is fully working again. Finally... And the problem number one is solved as well. The problem was as usual between chair and keyboard... cool

And apparently I have two logins here...

i've just come from ubuntu (which i used for about 1 year) to arch linux on my c400. any chance you could detail to me how you got suspend to work? thanks!

#4 2009-01-05 15:53:19

netVare

It seems that nobody is inetersted in answering the quistion... I did try noapic option and it didn't help. I did try all the quirks for pm-utils and they didn't help as well. The only way i could successfully suspend to ram and restore (the main problem) was to switch to apm instead of acpi.

Pm-suspend log shows nothing as it states that everything was perfect. And i am able to reboot my machine typing su/password and then reboot, so even though the display is off everything else seems to be working well. Hal configurations tells me that i have to use vbe-post and vbemode-restore, which does work with apm. Also i had troubles with i8k freezing any input when loaded with acpi (fixed somehow bow) so i knew that apm will do the job as i tried to suspend it while using apm.

If anybody have any ideas how to make it alive with acpi i'll be happy to try it all.

Edit:
It doesn't allow to suspend to ram with apm after kernel update only to disk.

Last edited by netVare (2009-01-05 16:04:27)

#5 2009-01-05 20:37:08

benji.ijneb

netVare wrote:

It seems that nobody is inetersted in answering the quistion... I did try noapic option and it didn't help. I did try all the quirks for pm-utils and they didn't help as well. The only way i could successfully suspend to ram and restore (the main problem) was to switch to apm instead of acpi.

Pm-suspend log shows nothing as it states that everything was perfect. And i am able to reboot my machine typing su/password and then reboot, so even though the display is off everything else seems to be working well. Hal configurations tells me that i have to use vbe-post and vbemode-restore, which does work with apm. Also i had troubles with i8k freezing any input when loaded with acpi (fixed somehow bow) so i knew that apm will do the job as i tried to suspend it while using apm.

If anybody have any ideas how to make it alive with acpi i'll be happy to try it all.

Edit:
It doesn't allow to suspend to ram with apm after kernel update only to disk.

i used to have all the same problems as you, so... hmm... i might try that...
what did it for me was installing uswsusp from aur and simply running the command "sudo s2ram". it is possible to integrate uswsusp into pm-utils, so that running suspend from kde / gnome shutdown dialogs and programs like powerdevil initiates s2ram, but this doesn't work for me for some reason, and i'm once again left with a blank screen (like you). but, seriously, try uswsusp - it's pretty damn good.

#6 2009-01-05 22:47:10

netVare

I use openbox and i don't want to use any extra gnome/kde stuff and i want to use dbus and hal directly to avoid sudo as well. Also i do know that it can work without installing any extra stuff as i already saw it working here. Anyways thanks for the reply i'll try uswsusp.

#7 2009-01-06 04:00:59

netVare

Installing uswsusp did solve the suspend, s2ram work perfectly. But if i make the configuration to pm utils so that uswsusp module will be used it doesn't really help... same story... And even more with this configuration i can not use hibernation. Not s2disk nor pm-hibernate (which calls s2disk) works as after hibernation if i boot i get "no restore image" kind of message and swap is screwed so i have to run mkswap and swapon to enable it again. Logs say nothing about it... just success everywhere.

What i did - i erased the /etc/pm/config.d/config ! Then i edited hal script so that it uses the s2ram instead of "pm-suspend $QUIRKS" to make hal run s2ram instead of pm stuff. But that will live only till the next hal update which is kinda wrong. Any ideas how to avoid that?

#8 2009-01-06 10:16:15

benji.ijneb

netVare wrote:

Installing uswsusp did solve the suspend, s2ram work perfectly. But if i make the configuration to pm utils so that uswsusp module will be used it doesn't really help... same story... And even more with this configuration i can not use hibernation. Not s2disk nor pm-hibernate (which calls s2disk) works as after hibernation if i boot i get "no restore image" kind of message and swap is screwed so i have to run mkswap and swapon to enable it again. Logs say nothing about it... just success everywhere.

What i did - i erased the /etc/pm/config.d/config ! Then i edited hal script so that it uses the s2ram instead of "pm-suspend $QUIRKS" to make hal run s2ram instead of pm stuff. But that will live only till the next hal update which is kinda wrong. Any ideas how to avoid that?

looks liek we're in the same boat...ish
for me pm-hibernate runs s2disk, and that works perfectly...
i'm still new to all of this, would editing this hal script fix my problems of kde not using s2ram? how would i go about doing this?

ta

#9 2009-01-06 12:02:17

netVare

I don't know whether kde power manager uses hal or not, but i think it does... So

cat /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-suspend-linux

#!/bin/sh

alarm_not_supported() {
    echo org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.AlarmNotSupported >&2
    echo Waking the system up is not supported >&2
    exit 1
}

unsupported() {
    echo org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.NotSupported >&2
    echo No suspend method found >&2
    exit 1
}

read seconds_to_sleep

# Make a suitable command line argument so that the tools can do the correct
# quirks for video resume.
# Passing the quirks to the tool allows the tool to not depend on HAL for data.
QUIRKS=""
[ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_S3_BIOS" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-s3-bios"
[ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_S3_MODE" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-s3-mode"
[ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_DPMS_SUSPEND" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-dpms-suspend"
[ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_DPMS_ON" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-dpms-on"
[ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_VBESTATE_RESTORE" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-vbestate-restore"
[ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_VBEMODE_RESTORE" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-vbemode-restore"
[ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_VGA_MODE_3" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-vga-mode3"
[ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_VBE_POST" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-vbe-post"
[ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_RADEON_OFF" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-radeon-off"
[ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_RESET_BRIGHTNESS" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-reset-brightness"
[ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_NONE" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-none"

# Urh. Do any BIOSen handle this correctly?
if [ $seconds_to_sleep != "0" ] ; then
    alarm_not_supported
fi

# We only support pm-utils
if [ -x "/usr/sbin/s2ram" ] ; then
    /usr/sbin/s2ram
    RET=$?
else
    # TODO: add support
    unsupported
fi

# Refresh devices as a resume can do funny things
for type in button battery ac_adapter
do
    devices=`hal-find-by-capability --capability $type`
    for device in $devices
    do
        dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal \
              $device org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Rescan
    done
done

exit $RET

You can see there "We only support pm-utils" and s2ram after it, so it won't run pm-utils anymore. Anyways, today i saw a very strange behaviour after resume which most probably was caused by X config so if you use exa and you can resume without any problems i would like to see your X config.

#10 2009-01-07 18:31:23

benji.ijneb

exa?
my xorg.conf is empty - 7.4 doesn't require one, and hwd mucked it up - some problem with not being able to find any screens - doesn't matter, though.
so this should make apps like powerdevil skip the whole pm-utils thing, and use s2ram directly?

EDIT: found this out: if you add

NoUpgrade = /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-suspend-linux

to the right place in pacman.conf, then it wont upgrade that file... i think...

Last edited by benji.ijneb (2009-01-07 18:39:23)

#11 2009-01-07 20:18:29

netVare

benji.ijneb wrote:

exa?
my xorg.conf is empty - 7.4 doesn't require one, and hwd mucked it up - some problem with not being able to find any screens - doesn't matter, though.
so this should make apps like powerdevil skip the whole pm-utils thing, and use s2ram directly?

EDIT: found this out: if you add

NoUpgrade = /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-suspend-linux

to the right place in pacman.conf, then it wont upgrade that file... i think...

I couldn't run X without configuring it, it didnt show anything so i use that configuration. And you have to check by yourself if powerdevil uses hal or not but most likely it does. At least gnome-power-manager does. Just backup your original script and put modified version there...

#12 2009-02-23 17:18:37

benji.ijneb

haven't posted here for a while...

i tried editing that hal script, but nothing happened. any other ideas?

Board footer