You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-23 16:44:49

Element 22

Open Office is full of boxes

I installed Openoffice-base and tried opening a .doc file was slightly suprised to see no chareters except boxes. I figured it must have been some odd formatting in the document so I closed it and tried to open OO and check the import options. The problem is that everything is still in boxes. Including every bit of text on the page. The file menu is boxes, as is the editing menu, anything I type and when I close without saving,  all the options are in boxes. hmm

This isn't happening anywhere else on the system and I have already tried reinstalling OO (although not purging) and restarting the entire system. No joy. I suspect it has something to do with java only because I didn't install java this time and left the GNU version on instead, but I honestly have no idea what's happening so I'm going to be wrong on that.

Help would be appreciated!

#2 2009-02-23 16:58:35

kevin89
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: Open Office is full of boxes

Sounds like you need to install some fonts, try ttf-ms-fonts.

#3 2009-02-23 17:15:43

buttons

Er...no.

First of all, are you on arch 64?  Did you try to install a 32-bit version of OOo (say, from the OOo website) rather than the one from the 64-bit repo?
Second of all, have you tried

export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=gnome

In your ~/.profile and restarting X?
It sounds like you're having problems with gtk/pango.

Cthulhu For President!

#4 2009-02-23 17:27:29

kevin89
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

@buttons, I had the same problem a couple of days ago and it was resolved by installing fonts..so for me it worked.

#5 2009-02-23 17:44:10

Element 22

kevin89 wrote:

Sounds like you need to install some fonts, try ttf-ms-fonts.

Worked perfectly. Although now I kind of wonder why. I could understand if I got the boxes for the document alone and needed the fonts, but why didn't the rest of OO fall back to the default fonts for, well, OO itself?

Odd..anyways, thaks for the help!

And to answe your question buttons:

I wish I was on arch64 sad, can't get it to install so I'm using 32 bit everything so the libraries are 32 bit also and installed via pacman.

And it's possible that it's a gtk problem, I use KDE and try to keep most of my programs KDE flavored so it's possible I wouldn't have noticed if there was a gtk issue.

Once again, thanks you!

P.S. Are there any other fonts I should be installing now?

#6 2009-02-23 17:52:00

buttons

I stand corrected.  How utterly bizarre.

Cthulhu For President!

Board footer