You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-23 12:15:59

Kaczor

Tons of nvidia problems on my Amd64 installation

I just switched from 32bit arch, and as of now I'm finding that it's next to impossible to get my nvidia (geforce 4 ti 4200) card working.

For the official nvidia (nvidia-96xx) drivers, I experience random text corruption that makes reading impossible.  I'm guessing it has to do with (gasp) shoddy video card drivers and there's nothing I can do to fix it, save roll-back to a previous version, but I have no clue what version wouldn't have this problem.

With the opensource nv drivers, everything works perfectly for about 10 seconds until the keyboard hangs and the computer is completely unresponsive.  My mouse cursor moves, but I cannot click on anything.

Is there a solution to either problem?  Or should I just pack up and go back to 32 bit?

#2 2009-02-23 12:17:47

Kaczor

Re: Tons of nvidia problems on my Amd64 installation

Also, my computer will hang immediately upon starting xorg if I don't use the configuration set by "hwd -xa", so I'd also like to know what's wrong with this piece of crap where even vesa hangs it up.

Vesa works with hwd -xa's configuration, though.

Last edited by Kaczor (2009-02-23 12:18:18)

#3 2009-02-23 19:28:20

cjpembo

If your machine locks right after X starts, and your keyboard and mouse are not responding, you could try the following:

Add this to your xorg.conf:

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
EndSection

Could you be more specific about the text corruption.  At the console or within an X session?

Last edited by cjpembo (2009-02-23 19:31:59)

#4 2009-02-23 19:56:28

Kaczor

I already have that in my xorg.conf, and it's still happening with the nv driver.  It just hung on me with the nvidia driver, after leaving it running all night without a hang.

That not being my initial xorg.conf probably is why vesa was hanging up on me at first, so you solved that problem, at least.

The text corruption is only during an x session, and only with the nvidia driver.  It only seems the effect text in my browser, thunderbird, pidgin, and etc.  It doesn't seem to happen within a xterm.

Last edited by Kaczor (2009-02-23 20:03:46)

#5 2009-02-23 19:59:17

Kaczor

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=60547

That's a very similar problem, if not the same, with my nvidia driver causing text corruption.

I will have to try the AutoAddDevices on vesa, though, is there any way of increasing my vesa resolution from the standard 800x600?  I could handle vesa if I could somehow get a higher resolution.

Also, why would the AutoAddDevices cause a lockup?

#6 2009-02-23 20:13:41

cjpembo

To be more clear:  the "AutoAddDevices" is to prevent lockups.  The latest xserver tries to use hal/dbus to automagically configure mice and keyboards.  This fails on some machines (and is in no way arch-specific); hence the xorg developers have given users a way to prevent auto-configuration entirely.

#7 2009-02-23 20:30:23

Kaczor

Alright, this is from my /var/log/Xorg.log file when it locks up with the nv driver.

[mi] mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.
[mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.

It just keeps repeating that line.

#8 2009-02-23 21:30:52

Kaczor

I just ran an ubuntu livecd and it's auto-configuration for nv was working pretty well until it did the same thing as it usually does, it just took longer.

I'm just going to go back to 32 bit arch linux, since I'm guessing 64 bit nvidia drivers are buggy/garbage.

#9 2009-02-23 22:35:08

Ranguvar

Are you sure you *just* switched from 32-bit Arch, and that it's not overall newer packages that are causing problems? Perhaps try your xorg.conf from Ubuntu? Try with Xorg -configure, hwd -xa, and nvidia-xconfig, and try modifying those? Read the Xorg Hotplugging wiki article? You can make it work, I'll bet smile

64-bit NVIDIA drivers are fine for me, and I haven't really heard anything about them being worse. It may be possible that since you're using the unmaintained legacy ones though that they haven't bothered to fix some 64-bit stuff hmm

#10 2009-02-23 23:09:19

Kaczor

I'm back in 32 bit.  Yes, I kept my 32 bit installation up to date, so I don't think that was it.  It's also working much better now.

So far, nvidia is stable and while I'm getting some of those text errors, they're nowhere near as pervasive.  Much more livable.

I couldn't figure out ubuntu's xorg.conf, as it was nearly empty.  I assume it was taking settings from somewhere else, but didn't have much time to investigate. Regardless, it still crashed.

What I don't understand is why nv was also crashing, though.  That's what bother me more -- that the generic drivers worked worse than the official ones.

#11 2009-02-23 23:10:55

Kaczor

Maybe I needed to set the agp settings in xorg?  Though, I've really no clue, as configuring video cards in linux ends up being like finding a needle in a haystack when something FUBARs.

#12 2009-02-23 23:30:17

Kaczor

Great.... looks like they're crashing again.  No clue why they were working before, though...

There must've been something I had in my xorg that I forgot to put back in.  Either that, or my video card is dying.  I'm totally lost here, help please!

Last edited by Kaczor (2009-02-23 23:32:37)

#13 2009-02-24 05:42:13

Kaczor

Right now, I have a theory of what's wrong.  It could explain why my problem seems to be a bit unusual.

Years ago, a few capacitors on my video card blew out.  Replacements soldered back on, but it was kind of poorly done as my dad did it but I don't think he was used to soldering capacitors on.

3D processing never worked after that, so I assumed the video card was perfectly workable if I avoided using DRI, opengl, and all that good stuff. And it was, as I noticed no problems running in simple 2D.

After enabling "NVagp -> 0" and "NoAccel -> True" in my xorg, everything seems to work great.  So far, I've had no crashes, and I'm typing this under the nv driver (though it's having trouble scrolling) without a crash at the moment.

So either it's a motherboard BIOS configuration problem (unlikely) or simply just a flaw in my graphics card, I think I MIGHT have solved this enigma.

Sorry for not mentioning the fact that I had a gimped-up video card to the people who tried to help me, but I was certain it was a driver problem.  I'm going to test with 64 bit and see if that helps.

Thanks for you're help, guys,  I'll mark this solved if I don't get a crash in a few days.

Last edited by Kaczor (2009-02-24 05:42:28)

#14 2009-02-24 05:47:21

Kaczor

However, the text corruption is still there.  I'm assuming that's a driver problem.

Board footer