You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-24 19:51:56

dezza

Xorg hang with "No Signal" on screen after incomplete -Syu

Hello everyone.

I had a uptime of ~60 days and decided it was the time to pop -Syu and take a deep breath, this time, it choked me ..

pacman -Syu was downloading almost a Gig of packages and was near the end or just started installing when the screen just got cleared suddently and showed me this ..

1888218888++++++++

Yes, nonsense, something went terribly wrong, and I did not use it meanwhile updating, it was just updating all by itself when this happened..

Afterwards I did another pacman -Syu after a reboot and it installed the last packages but startx gave me a screen without signal (No black screen or anything, just like if it was unplugged) .. The rest of the system is freezed and I cannot reach TTYs by CTRL+ALT+F-keys absolutely no response, not even by network services like SSH.

I now am in doubt, should I do a reinstall of all packages on my system to be sure this is not caused by incomplete installations/upgrades of xorg and it's parts or should I try anything else?

xinit/startx is reacting the same ..

I have not been able to find a similar problem by searching, all refer to the Xorg hotplugging which is disabled in my Xorg which bugged me on the last -Syu ..

#2 2009-02-25 15:35:01

dezza

Re: Xorg hang with "No Signal" on screen after incomplete -Syu

UPDATE:
The official NVIDIA driver caused the problem since the "nv" opensource nvidia driver works fine.

[dezza@dezza ~]$ sudo pacman -Qii nvidia
Name           : nvidia
Version        : 180.22-1
URL            : http://www.nvidia.com/
Licenses       : custom  
Groups         : None
Provides       : None
Depends On     : kernel26>=2.6.28  kernel26<2.6.29  nvidia-utils  
Optional Deps  : None
Required By    : None
Conflicts With : nvidia-96xx  nvidia-71xx  nvidia-legacy  
Replaces       : None
Installed Size : 7744,00 K
Packager       : Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de>
Architecture   : i686
Build Date     : 2009-01-12T13:46:07 CET
Install Date   : 2009-02-25T13:24:55 CET
Install Reason : Explicitly installed
Install Script : Yes
Description    : NVIDIA drivers for kernel26.
Backup Files:
(none)

Board footer