You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-18 12:56:32

chaosgeisterchen

[SOLVED] Keyboard stopped working after update

Greetings,

after my most recent update (I now update infrequently, so I had quite a bunch of packets to update) I experienced my keyboard refraining from working in any way under my desktop environment (KDEmod legacy) - switching to console, the keyboard works again.

I did a few downgrades (info from /var/log/pacman.log) and it now works again.

[2009-02-18 13:47] upgraded xkeyboard-config (1.5-1 -> 1.4-2)
[2009-02-18 13:47] upgraded xf86-input-keyboard (1.3.2-1 -> 1.3.1-1)
[2009-02-18 13:48] upgraded xcb-util (0.3.3-1 -> 0.3.2-1)

Are there any known problems occuring concerning these packets? They seem to change the way, XOrg is accessing the keyboard, which is obviously not working.

Thanks for any advice on this matter!

Regards,
cg

// EDIT

Solution: xorg-server was amongst the IgnorePkg list as in pacman.conf - updating xorg-server together with xf86-input-keyboard, input devices work like charms again.

Last edited by chaosgeisterchen (2009-02-20 01:34:00)

celestary
Intel Core2Duo E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
kernel26
KDEmod current repository

#2 2009-02-18 13:06:48

ise
Developer
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard stopped working after update

The new xorg server introduces some new handling of the input devices. Have a look here:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … otplugging

And here is the news announcement:
http://www.archlinux.org/news/424/

Daniel

#3 2009-02-19 10:39:30

dninja
Website

I had the same problem but a slightly different setup. Xorg 1.5 just didn't work with my machine, after anywhere between 10 mins and 3 hours the keyboard would completely lock up forcing a reboot so I've tagged xorg to not be upgraded and stuck on 1.4. I also have this:

Option         "AutoAddDevices" "false"

in my xorg.conf.

I did an upgrade yesterday, found that the keyboard had stopped working so reverted back the files mentioned above and all started again. So, seeing as I'm still on the xorg 1.4 package and I have the setting I was told would turn off all the hotplugging stuff why was my keyboard killed?

#4 2009-02-19 15:04:12

b9anders

I am also on a xorg 1.4. and figured it had to be f86-input-keyboard or xkeyboard-config causing it. No cache of those for me, so I downgraded them with abs and added them to the ignorepkg line in pacman.conf. Everything is working as it should again now.

No breakage for me on my other install where I use the newest xorg server.

My guess is that latest of one of those packages isn't compatible with earlier xorg-servers. Which is to be expected, I guess. Can't really complain about breakage when one is holding packages long upgraded on the servers.

Last edited by b9anders (2009-02-19 15:06:37)

#5 2009-02-19 19:33:16

mrunion
Website

I get keyboard "lockups" randomly. When it happens, the keyboard doesn't work -- no keys or anything. The mouse and everything else works fine. The keyboard is a USB keyboard. I can pull it out of the USB port and plug it back in, and it works again. The only thing that is wrong then is the numlock state is revered with the light. For example, if numlock is on and it quits working, removing it from the USB port and replugging it makes it work but the numlock light is off even though numlock is on. If I press numlock, the light comes on, but numlock is then off.

I use numlockx on startup and have disabled this to test and see if that's the problem. I use Arch64 and KDE4.2 and everything is up to date.

I have no clue. (My 32-bit laptop doesn't seem to have this problem -- same KDE4.2 and everything up to date.)

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#6 2009-02-20 01:17:22

chaosgeisterchen

ise wrote:

The new xorg server introduces some new handling of the input devices. Have a look here:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … otplugging

And here is the news announcement:
http://www.archlinux.org/news/424/

Daniel

Thank you for your contribution. I tried my best to configure my input devices conform to the new XOrg hotplugging, but I have to say that the problem persisted.

Step 0:
Updating all packages (again). Conclusion: Not working.

Step 1:
Copying the keyboard configurations from /usr/share to /etc for persistent use by HAL. Conclusion: Not working.

Step 2:
Commenting out the lines referring to the static declaration of input devices within /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Conclusion: Not working.

Step 3:
Adding the command to disable the hotplugging (Option "AutoAddDevices" "False") on bottom of my xorg.conf. Conclusion: Not working.

Step 4:
Downgrading: xf86-input-keyboard (1.3.2-1 -> 1.3.1-1) Conclusion: Working again.

---

Guessing by the fact that more than one person posted in this thread, this problem seems not to be limited to my specific configuration (which is rather basic, a basic keyboard and a basic mouse, both using USB). For now, the 'solution' is adding xf86-input-keyboard to the IgnorePkg list of pacman.conf - or is there any known workaround?

I would be glad to be informed about wrongs in the steps I have taken.

Thanks for your information in advance,

regards,

cg

// EDIT

Problem resolved. The solution was stunningly obvious - after having run into problems with the upgrade lately, xorg-server was on the IgnorePkg list as well and defaulted to 1.4.2.2, which would not work well together with the input hotplugging. After having solved the problem with XOrg and updating all the packages again, I can happily use my keyboard again. Sorry for all the hassle!

Last edited by chaosgeisterchen (2009-02-20 01:32:52)

celestary
Intel Core2Duo E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
kernel26
KDEmod current repository

#7 2009-02-26 09:59:33

ravisghosh
Website

I don't have xf86-input-keyboard 1.3.1-1 in my cache. Can some please send it to me at ravisghosh@gmail.com

Board footer