You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-08 05:42:29

dlanor78

dvd playing problems

First, a reminder....there's supposed to be no stupid questions here wink

Now, I have vlc installed and totem installed.  When I try to play a dvd on them, I get sound but all I see is a blue screen.  I must be missing something.  I noticed I didn't have libdvdplay installed, and it's not found using pacman -Sy libdvdplay, so I built it form source and intalled it without errors.

Are there any other packages that I should look for here?  I do have libdvdcss installed for sure as well as libdvdread.  Not sure what else to look for here.

I tried playing a svcd and that worked fine, so my nvidia drivers seem to be working alright.

#2 2004-10-08 12:59:20

dlanor78

Re: dvd playing problems

I don't know what the problem was, but it seems to be okay now.  I have rebooted since posting, so maybe installin libdvdplay and rebooting fixed it?

I don't know, but it works now!!!!

[edit]

Oh yea, there was something else I tried that might have fixed it.  I added

Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps"

to my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.  Seems this is a problem with xorg and not allocating enough memory for offscreen pixmaps...something like that.  They said it was also a problem with ati and a few other cards, but I have an nvidia card.  I tried it anyway though to see if I get lucky wink

If anyone needs to know where to put that line, here's what worked for me (straight from my xorg.conf file):

Section "Device"
    ### Available Driver options are:-
# sw_cursor is needed for some ati and radeon cards
Option "sw_cursor"
        #Option     "hw_cursor"
        #Option     "NoAccel"
        #Option     "ShowCache"
        #Option     "ShadowFB"
        #Option     "UseFBDev"
        #Option     "Rotate"
    Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps"
    Identifier  "Card0"

#3 2004-10-08 14:34:25

sarah31
Website

you don't need libdvdplay to play dvds likely one of the the libraries was not  visible in your path. likely logging in then out would have done it (better than rebooting).

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2004-10-30 16:59:05

Xptential

I am use XF86Config   ...i installed libdvdcss and  libdvdread ...I am still getting a blue screen in totem and cannot play dvds. Any help would be appreciated...

Board footer