You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-26 11:51:52

ravisghosh
Website

[SOLVED, PARTIALLY] Xorg 1.5 leaves me with freezed and colored screen

I was using xorg-server 1.4 with xf86-video-i810 and xf86-input-keyboard 1.3.1 and it was fine. Today, I upgrade my system and xf86-input-keyboard was upgrade to 1.3.2. With this upgrade, I was able to log into X but my keyboard was unusable. And since I do not have the old package of xf86-input-keyboard (version 1.3.1) in my hard disk, I am unable to go back.

So, I tried to upgrade my system completely including xorg-server 1.4 to 1.5 and xf86-video-i810 to xf86-video-intel. Then I tried starting up X and it gives a colorful screen with vertical lines.

Searched forum a bit and came to know that I can remove my xorg.conf since new xorg detects things on its own. Hence, I deleted xorg.conf and enabled hal in rc.conf. But this also gave me the same result.

Thirdly, I tried removing xbindkeys since there was some mention that it creates problem when starting up with X, but to no avail.

Finally, I tried using "hwd -u" and "hwd -xa" to get an xorg.conf as it was mentioned in some post. it too did not work.

Can someone help me get out of this mess. I'm not able to post links to other posts or my xorg log since I'm on links to browse net and using it first time.

Waiting for your help.[

Last edited by ravisghosh (2009-02-27 00:23:15)

#2 2009-02-27 00:36:35

ravisghosh
Website

Re: [SOLVED, PARTIALLY] Xorg 1.5 leaves me with freezed and colored screen

After trying lot of things and not being able to get xorg-server 1.5 work with my system, the only way remaining was to build xf86-input-keyboard 1.3.1 using abs. Here is how I did it (will help those who does not know how to build using abs just as I did not know).

copy the following files in a folder.

/var/abs/extra/xf86-input-keyboard/PKGBUILD
/var/abs/extra/xf86-input-keyboard/new-server.patch

open PKGBUILD file using some editor, e.g. nano. and change the following lines to look like this

pkgver=1.3.1
pkgrel=1

Note, the version and release has to be changed.

Now run this command

makepkg

This will download a file and after a while you will get the following error:

validating source files with md5sums
xf86-input-keyboard-1.3.1.tar.gz FAILED

Now run the following command

md5sum -t xf86-input-keyboard-1.3.1.tar.gz

THis will give a long series of letters and numbers. Note that down and again open PKGBUILD file. Go to the end of the file and you will find 2 similar series of numbers and letters. Replace the first series with the number you have noted down. Save the file and exit.

Now again run

makepkg

This time, the process will continue and will not fail. You will get the installation file in the same directory, named like xf86-input-keyboard-1.3.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz.

now, install this file

pacman -U xf86-input-keyboard-1.3.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz

Do the same for other files, i.e., xorg-server 1.4 and xf86-video-i810-1.7.4, etc., if you happen to not have them in your hard disk.

#3 2009-02-27 02:09:21

skottish
Forum Fellow

There's a repo set up with all of this stuff:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=66057

#4 2009-02-27 10:58:03

ravisghosh
Website

skottish wrote:

There's a repo set up with all of this stuff: