You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-27 07:38:07

Davitosan

Can't change root password

Hello, everyone. I feel compelled to warn you that I'm relative newbie in Linux, so please bear with me. After a lot of work, I've managed to get through most of the installation process (including setting up a wireless network using the command line), but after editing the configuration files, selecting the option that reads "Change root password" flood the screen with a message that looks something like this:

chroot: unknown command 'psswd'

or something like that. Anyway, the whole system hangs.

The rest of the system seems to be correctly installed (I can access the Arch partition through Ubuntu, and everything looks installed), but Grub doesn't list Arch. Is it always necessary to edit Grub's menu.list in order to use Arch?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 2009-02-27 08:15:48

toad
Website

Re: Can't change root password

but after editing the configuration files, selecting the option that reads "Change root password"

Which file? I cannot imagine (at current stage of linux exposure) that one is capable of simply changing the root password by editing a simple unencrypted file. If so, all hell would break lose...

To change my root password I'd login as root and type in passwd

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#3 2009-02-27 08:46:42

b9anders

Davitosan wrote:

Is it always necessary to edit Grub's menu.list in order to use Arch?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Not if you're using the menu.lst from arch's installation. But I'm assuming you're not, since you would have had to edit that in order to use ubuntu.

And in that case, yes, you do need to edit the menu.lst to include an entry for arch. No automagic here.

#4 2009-02-27 19:25:28

Davitosan

I added this to my menu.lst file, but doesn't seem to work. Is anything missing? Arch is installed on /dev/sda4

title        Arch Linux
root        (hd0,3)
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz26
boot

#5 2009-02-27 19:33:49

brisbin33
Website

[disclaimer=never done it myself, but...] i would add this to your ubuntu menu.lst, adding you're own values ofcourse:

# (N) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/UuidOfArchPartition ro
initrd /kernel26.img

and don't make a /boot partition or install grub on the arch side. [/disclaimer]

as for the root password error, i'm baffled.  i used that option on the install cd to change in the root password no problem.  did you follow the steps on the installation cd in the order they're presented?

if i understand it correctly, that option on the install cd should simply chroot into your installation (hence the chroot: in the error) then issue the passwd command (hence the passwd in the error) to change your root password.  if you don't have the passwd command installed you may have accidentally skipped a required step in the install process.  i'd start over and follow the cd in order.

good luck.

Last edited by brisbin33 (2009-02-27 19:34:27)

#6 2009-02-27 21:08:10

toad
Website

So you have successfully installed and rebooted?

Just trying to get my bearings here. Did you install via a boot CD or from an existing environment?

never trust a toad...

#7 2009-02-27 21:10:51

Davitosan

Thanks for the answers!

Quick question: Why 'ro' at the end of the kernel line? Isn't that 'read only'? I would like to write to the partition.

#8 2009-02-27 21:22:23

Davitosan

I installed via a boot CD, and downloaded the content through ftp. I finally booted the installed arch system! Thank you for your help.

#9 2009-02-27 21:29:36

brisbin33
Website

i forget the reason for the ro options; they're default, i see "mounting root filesystem read only" at every boot, and i can still write to my partition(s).  i'm sure someone more knowledgeable can elaborate or offer a google link for the details.

#10 2009-02-28 01:32:45

ataraxia

Davitosan wrote:

Thanks for the answers!

Quick question: Why 'ro' at the end of the kernel line? Isn't that 'read only'? I would like to write to the partition.

Yes. It means "mount read-only at the start". We want that so fsck can check the filesystem. The boot process changes it to read-write for you after that.

#11 2009-02-28 04:05:38

Davitosan

Thanks, ataraxia.

#12 2009-02-28 06:59:53

toad
Website

To change the root password:

login as root and type

passwd

For info on chroot which is quite a different kettle of fish altogether please type

man chroot

never trust a toad...

Board footer