You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-20 22:12:18

Mogger
Website

Firefox and slow text cursor

The text cursor in Firefox can't keep up with my typing speed, and it isn't because I'm a fast typist. If I were to type this text, it looks like this in Firefox:

|If I were to type this text,  it looks like this in Firefox:

| represents the blinking cursor. I have to wait a couple of seconds before it jumps to the correct position (which is after the word 'Firefox:').
Actually, I don't even have to type very fast. As long as I'm typing, the cursor stays where it was before I started entering text.

After googling around for a bit I found another person with the same problem, but no solution. This problem occurs everywhere where there is a cursor (text boxes, location bar etc.). No other application has this problem (I mainly use KDE application, but also tried Pidgin, OpenOffice.org and Thunderbird).

I've tried to run run Firefox in Safe Mode, run Firefox as a different user and reinstall Firefox. Needless to say, nothing helped.

A small parenthesis: I don't think I had this problem before reinstalling Arch. After the reinstall I also upgraded the memory (from 1 GB to 2), but that shouldn't have anything to do with this issue... right?
It's possible that I use a newer version of Firefox now that before the reinstallation.

I use KDEmod 4.2 and Firefox 3.0.6-1 from extra.

#2 2009-02-22 09:49:36

Mogger
Website

Re: Firefox and slow text cursor

Weird. I just tried Swiftweasel 3.0.1 and it doesn't have this problem. So what could the cause of the problem be?

EDIT: However, Firefox branded has a slow cursor. Hm. Where's the smiley with question marks above his head when I need him?
EDIT2: No problem with Swiftfox either.

Last edited by Mogger (2009-02-22 10:44:22)

#3 2009-02-28 08:56:52

HackBug

Re: Firefox and slow text cursor

I am having this problem too actually, and I am using Swiftweasel, my laptop doesn't have it, despite having nearly the same settings on both machines.

Board footer