You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-27 19:09:13

göteborg-johan

Solved. Installer doesn't detect harddrives

Hello, so this is my first time trying to install arch linux outside of virtualbox and the installer doesn't seem to detect my hard drives.

I get to the point in installation where I'm supposed to partition my harddrives and nothing is there, so I selected other and by using "dmesg | grep sd" I managed to find out that the drive i wanted to contain my arch install was called sdb. I wrote /dev/sdb in the "other"-box and was able to partition my hard dive the way I want. However, when I get to the step where I'm supposed to set my filesystems mountpoints there is no detected hard drives and no "other" option, so I'm pretty much stuck there.

I have tried searching but I didn't find anything on this particular problem, only GRUB related issues. Is there anyone here that know how to solve this?

Sorry for my English, it's not my first language but hopefully i made some sense at least. smile

edit, I forgot to add that I have tried the legacy IDE booting method too, but it did not help.

Last edited by göteborg-johan (2009-02-28 19:07:29)

#2 2009-02-28 13:48:02

göteborg-johan

Re: Solved. Installer doesn't detect harddrives

Anyone have any idea why the installer won't detect my drives? Windows detects them just fine hmm

#3 2009-02-28 14:30:35

nowahn

I have no idea why the installer doesn't detect your hardrive, but you should be able to workaround by mounting the partitions manually.
- mount the root partition to /mnt
- create a directory in /mnt for each separate partition
- mount all the partitions
then go to the step after setting hard drives in the installer.

I'm not sure this will work, just try. the installer should complains that you did not set any mountpoints, maybe entering the Set Filesystem Mountpoints step, and exiting with DONE can fix this.

take time to daydream, inspiration comes ...

#4 2009-02-28 17:43:22

göteborg-johan

nowahn wrote:

I have no idea why the installer doesn't detect your hardrive, but you should be able to workaround by mounting the partitions manually.
- mount the root partition to /mnt
- create a directory in /mnt for each separate partition
- mount all the partitions
then go to the step after setting hard drives in the installer.

I'm not sure this will work, just try. the installer should complains that you did not set any mountpoints, maybe entering the Set Filesystem Mountpoints step, and exiting with DONE can fix this.

Thanks for your reply, will try that.
One question tho, how would I set the swap partition using that method?

#5 2009-02-28 19:06:17

göteborg-johan

Problem solved, i tried to install from usb, everything went fine when installing from a cd instead.

Board footer