You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-01 03:18:27

rrodrigues

using kde programs in openbox

hi... i want use openbox only.. and configure on my on openbox, but i want to use some programs from kde (3.5) like konqueror, kopete, kpdf...

how can a do this? i can't can any kde program.

#2 2009-03-01 04:51:25

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: using kde programs in openbox

they "just work" simply run them.

Though Arch distributes KDE4 by default, so you will either have to use KDEmod (if they still offer KDE3) or just use the KDE4 versions.

If you'd like the KDE apps to start a bit faster, there's a command kde_init or kdeinit (can't remember) which can be run at login.

#3 2009-03-01 07:56:00

Ranguvar

^^ Note that the above (kde_init, etc.) will load a bunch of KDE stuff into RAM, so it may not be good for only a few apps (though you seem to want quite a few).

That said, it seems you're missing the point of Openbox? If you really want all those KDE apps, you should try first KDE with Openbox as the window manager instead of the default KWin. But if you're trying to cut back on bloat, using a different DE like Xfce would slim things down much faster. Anyways, why not use lighter, non-KDE alternative apps? And if you do stick with KDE apps, side note, make sure to use KDEmod packages to avoid some of the bloat.

#4 2009-03-01 10:01:06

Ronin-Sage
Website

Depending on the app, you should be able to get resource consumption under control. Personally, I run [4.2x-centered] YaKuake as an autostart app on my LXDE desktop, and KWrite as well(the latter is actually a good bit lighter than GEdit on my system, but that's beside the point).

#5 2009-03-01 13:36:26

rrodrigues

i know that exist the possibility of using openbox just as a WM with kde, but i don't want this..
i wnat use some especific kde application.
like konqueror. do you know any file manager more power that this one? i like it i a thing is very good and there is no other similar.. this is my reason for using kde applcations with openbox.

i'm using kde 3.5.10. there is any problem? i don search if kde 3.5 will be descontinued soon.
but is better use kdemo3? why?

and i already use openbox with kde4 application.. and yes, they "just work. and i had kdemod installed in the tima and kdemod application didn't work in openbox too.
but, now with kde3.5, the application don't "just work". i try to call konqueror but:

~  $  konqueror
bash: konqueror: command not found

#6 2009-03-01 13:59:00

gjoellee

rrodrigues wrote:

i know that exist the possibility of using openbox just as a WM with kde, but i don't want this..
i wnat use some especific kde application.
like konqueror. do you know any file manager more power that this one? i like it i a thing is very good and there is no other similar.. this is my reason for using kde applcations with openbox.

i'm using kde 3.5.10. there is any problem? i don search if kde 3.5 will be descontinued soon.
but is better use kdemo3? why?

and i already use openbox with kde4 application.. and yes, they "just work. and i had kdemod installed in the tima and kdemod application didn't work in openbox too.
but, now with kde3.5, the application don't "just work". i try to call konqueror but:

~  $  konqueror
bash: konqueror: command not found

Sometimes updatedb works:

updatedb

or just restart your computer. Then check /usr/share/applications to see if the programs you installed are there. You can launch them from that folder as well, but hitting right click and click on "Execute".

Entertain yourself in a stupid way: www.stupidreality.org

#7 2009-03-01 15:09:16

rrodrigues

thanks..
i can run konqueror, p.e. from is full path /op/kde/bin/konqueror
ok.. is this want i want..

but can i had this path /opt/kde/bin to a path folder where xterm can search programs do start.
i don't is you understand me.. i can't explaine very well...

i resolve this...
just and

PATH=$PATH:/opt/kde/bin
export PATH

to my .bash_profile

thanks

you can close this topic

Last edited by rrodrigues (2009-03-01 15:13:33)

Board footer