You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-26 10:02:49

TheGreatGonzo
Website

qt-gtk engine not redering correctly.

Good morning

I have myself a nice shinny new Arch installation which I am very, very impressed with. 

However, after installing the qt-gtk engine via pacman I am having a few issue's with applications. 

Firstly, Firefox 3's tab bar is not rendering correctly and secondly when I tried to launch gvim all I got was a blank grey window with no toolbar, menus or controls of any type.  In fact I have to kill it after it appears to be doing nothing.

If I uninstall the engine then all is well again.

I know the engine is a little flaky at times (as a long time Debian user I ended up having to build from source a few times) but these issues are a shame as I am so impressed with my new Arch install I want to show it off!!

Anyway, I have had a search of the forums and can't find much on the topic apart from someone mentioning the Gvim issue about October last year.

Any ideas or tips would be much appreciated.

"Oh, uh, good question. Now technically speaking, uhh, let's say, put me down as a... 'Whatever'?" - TheGreatGonzo.

#2 2009-01-26 12:14:29

FrozenFox
Website

Re: qt-gtk engine not redering correctly.

I had some similar weird problems when I used my older .kde*, .config, .local, .gnome*, .gtk* folders (i dont recall which one had the problem in it). You may want to try making a new test account just to test out gtk-qt-engine in to see for sure that it's not screwed up settings files somewhere.

After I while I just installed lxappearance and qtcurve-gtk and qtcurve-kde4 and killed gtk-qt-engine, and set my appearance for gtk stuff to match in lxappearance and systemsettings instead of using a wrapper engine. You might consider that. There is also an oxygen gtk theme in aur i believe.

I eventually had gtk-qt-engine installed again on a fresh account and it strangely gave no further problems.

You may also have better luck with gtk-kde4 than gtk-qt-engine.  They do roughly the same thing, with different results. o.O It seemed a little buggy to me, but I also got it working at one point.

Good luck..

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-01-26 12:16:03)

#3 2009-01-26 12:33:22

igster

I also had issues with Firefox tabs (amongst other things) and was able to mostly resolve them by installing another theme.  I recommend the "KFirefox: theme for KDE 4" available from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7574 .  You may have to go to the developer's site to install it.

To me, the Oxygen widgets don't work well on web pages.  There's probably some better way to integrate them but it's not terrible and I have better things to worry about.

#4 2009-02-02 21:28:44

TheGreatGonzo
Website

Thanks very much for your replies.

I have only just had the chance to look at this again.  I have been playing with the gtk-qt-engine but had no luck.

However, that KFireFox theme that you recommended igster works a treat.

Thanks to both of you!

Gonzo

"Oh, uh, good question. Now technically speaking, uhh, let's say, put me down as a... 'Whatever'?" - TheGreatGonzo.

#5 2009-02-03 04:01:06

hk2717

Yes firefox and gvim have issues with gtk-qt-engine. If you use vimperator, you can setup a color scheme to solve the firefox tab rendering issue, but I found that there is another problem with firefox and gtk-qt-engine: the firefox process does not properly end when you close its window so that you have to manually kill it every time. There are other solution besides gtk-qt-engine, but none of them (except qtcurve but I don't like its appearance) really integrates firefox into KDE.

If you don't like the widgets in firefox, just install a greasemonkey script ('style corrector') to fix them.

#6 2009-02-03 04:09:43

Wintervenom

Have you tried pacman -S qtcurve-gtk2 qtcurve-kde4?

Last edited by Wintervenom (2009-02-03 04:09:52)

#7 2009-02-03 07:03:37

chair

Try kdemod-extragear-gtk-qt-engine-svn from KDEMod. The svn version has another style, kde4-oxygen, that will give you a pretty good oxygen for GTK.

#8 2009-02-06 22:06:22

TheGreatGonzo
Website

Well I have cured Firefox theme issue with the KFireFox Firefox and I have just installed the gtk-kde4 package from AUR (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=19140) which seems to have sorted my GVim issues.

I love how much I can tweak with Arch and how easy it makes it. big_smile

#9 2009-02-06 23:47:59

quarkup
Website

If you have not yet, install qtcurve;

Then in the settings > appearance > gtk options

you set GTK's look to be the QTcurve big_smile

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

#10 2009-03-01 22:01:59

JawsThemeSwimming428

quarkup wrote:

If you have not yet, install qtcurve;

Then in the settings > appearance > gtk options

you set GTK's look to be the QTcurve big_smile

Thanks, I was having the Firefox tabs issue as well and this worked amazingly!

Board footer