You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-31 12:22:07

skeeterbug
Website

NVIDIA Based Card Manufacturer Suggestions...

I debated whether to post this here (kernel/hardware) or OT but decided on here.  I was just wondering if anyone has recommendations on who manufactures the best quality nvidia based cards.  I currently have an asus based on the GeForce4 MX 440.  It's a good card but it's 64M and I was thinking about upgrading to 128M.  I think that the quality varies a lot - I could just bet on the 'you get what yo pay for' and buy the most expensive but I would prefer a good quality card at a cheap price (duh!).

#2 2004-11-02 20:42:35

fuse

Re: NVIDIA Based Card Manufacturer Suggestions...

I have a 5700 ultra and a 5950 ultra from BFG Technologies, they were not that expensive (as others) but perform well. With BFG now going in the alienware boxes they might get (maybe even are) more expensive now. They have a lifetime warranty though... so thats good too. I would stay away from the 5200 (if your play games) of any card manufacturer though.  :twisted:

#3 2004-11-03 01:28:41

paranoos

I have an ASUS 5200 card with 128mb ram (link)
I bought it because it was really inexpensive, and it didn't have a fan (i wanted a pretty quiet system). turns out i can hear the video card "clicking" during some window manager operations, or use a software video display (as opposed to hardware overlay). speaking of which, if anyone's system is quiet enough that they can hear this, can you let me know? smile

#4 2004-11-03 11:43:33

kth5
Website

a couple of months ago i bought a Creative 3D Blaster. it features a Ge-Force FX5200 chipset & unfortunately only 64MB DDR. well, sine i don't play games that much that is more than enough to me.
only problem this card has is that it almost blocks one of the near PCI slots - of which i only have 3 btw - due to the large passive heat-sink.  roll

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

Board footer