You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-02 12:22:15

Cleophas

accessing JFS creation timestamp

Greetings!

I am new to Arch, but not necessarily to Linux.  I have recently moved back from the Windows world and would like to bring over all of my data files and documents from NTFS.   The problem I am having with this involves creation timestamps.  I would like to preserve these in the Linux system.  Strangely, many linux filesystems do not track this piece of information about a file.  I found that JFS has many benefits including creation timestamp meta data.  I set up a spare drive with JFS and rsynced my NTFS data over to it, only to find I couldn't see how to get or set this creation timestamp through 'ls' or otherwise.  I did find a thread somewhere that mentioned you could use jfs_debugfs to see the creation timestamp value as di_otime if you provided that tool the files inode.  But it is hexadecimal format and this seems a rather convoluted way to access this information, not to mention doing anything programmatically on a mass scale with the creation timestamp information for a file.

Is there any higher level way to get and set the creation timestamp data on a file in JFS?  Getting would be sufficient if I could verify that the creation timestamp is getting preserved properly after the rsync from NTFS to JFS.

Thank you for any assistance.

Last edited by Cleophas (2009-03-03 04:33:31)

Board footer