You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-07 01:20:56

markb

How do I determine if my network adapter is in the kernel?

Hello everyone Great job on this distro.  I am a newbie Anyway quick question on other platforms(Freebsd,etc) my nic card is listed as sis0.  I can't seem to get the OS to recognize the nic card.  Doing a dmesg shows that the board is a SIS 730 chipset.  Any suggestions on how to get this to work?  I have a W2k dhcp server and a router with IP address 192.168.x.x that Arch picks up no problem as the default gateway.  Just a little confused...Mark

#2 2003-08-07 02:04:06

sarah31
Website

Re: How do I determine if my network adapter is in the kernel?

i did a cursory google.ca/linux and came up with this:

>sis0: <SiS 900 10/100BaseTX> 

from someones dmesg output. so it could be your nic is a sis 900. in which case you can try:

modprobe sis900

if that gets it working then you can add the sis900 to your module loading section of /etc/rc.conf. if not then see if dmesg gives you any information on your card.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-08-07 11:56:43

markb

That worked!  I now have a hardware address.  When I do a ifconfig eth0 it is still not working correctly.  Under modules=(!usbserial !ide-scsi) directly underneath that line I put this sis900 is this where its supposed to go?  Am I still missing something?  Thank-you for your help it is much appreciated Mark

#4 2003-08-07 12:21:24

red_over_blue

If I understand you correctly, your card work with the sis900 modules, but you can't get the module to autoload at boot?

To load a kernel module at boot, edit the module line as follows:

modules=(!usbserial !ide-scsi sis900)

The ! before usbserial and ide-scsi means "don't load those modules", where the sis900 (without the !) means to load that module. 

Hope this helps!

Don't forget to post your PKGBUILD in your thread when you announce a new package in incoming.
see HERE for details

#5 2003-08-07 12:23:48

red_over_blue

Also, if you do a "modprobel sis900" and get your network up and running, and things are still not working properly (with the network)... then it has nothing to do with adding sis900 to rc.conf.  Adding sis900 to rc.conf just means (more or less) that the system will "modprobe sis900" at boot, so you don't have to.  Just trying to narrow things down for you if your network isn't working properly with the sis900 module.

Don't forget to post your PKGBUILD in your thread when you announce a new package in incoming.
see HERE for details

#6 2003-08-07 13:16:29

Mork II

Also it might be useful to add this to your /etc/modules.conf

alias eth0 sis900

#7 2003-08-07 23:42:07

markb

I want to thank everyone for their posts about getting this nic card recognized.  After trying all these things that were suggested I am afraid that I still have some problems.  Part of the dmesg says this SIS5513:IDE Controller at...SIS5513:not 100% native mode:will probe irqs later....SIS730 ATA Controller.  There is no mention of the sis900 module when I do a modprobe sis900 I get this Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.21/modules.dep.  Am I missing something in the dmesg?  When I issue ifconfig -a(after modprode sis900) there are 3 entries one for eth0 Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr:, lo and this one sit0-00?I am sorry for this post and I do appreciate all your help.  Mark

#8 2003-08-08 01:59:01

red_over_blue

Hi Mark,

Here is some info I hope you find useful.

1.  SIS5513:IDE Controller at...SIS5513:not 100% native mode:will probe irqs later.

This is not your ethernet card chipset.  This refers to your northbridge/southbridge chipsets.  These are simply two chips that the CPU talks through to perform many functions.  The CPU uses IDE via the southbridge chip, in your case the SIS5513.  You can safely ignore this message.  I'm not familiar with the sis900 module, but is it for a PCI ethernet card?  If so, you can confirm that this is the proper module by:

[root@limbo linux]# cat /proc/pci | grep -i eth
    Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 67)

As you can see, in my case, I have a PCI ethernet card that uses the via-rhine module.

2.  Have you properly edited the "eth0 = " section in /etc/rc.conf?  You have to set it up properly.  How to you connect to the internet?  I can't really make suggestions about how to edit rc.conf unless you provide info on how you connect to the internet.

3.  Assuming you have /etc/rc.conf properly configured, after you "modprobe sis900" you have only enabled the module for your card.  You still have to start your network connection.  What is the output of the following command?

[root@limbo linux]# /etc/rc.d/network start

4.  If (3) starts the network fine, then add network to the list of services you want started at boot in /etc/rc.conf

I hope you find this info helpful.  I know how frustrating it is when things aren't working (all too well smile ), but hang in there, you'll get it.

see HERE for details

#9 2003-08-08 03:56:12

Jagged

to get rid of the error you get on modprobe, just run 'depmod'

Nkawtg...n!

#10 2003-08-08 13:02:35

markb

Thank you everyone for helping me out with this problem.  Everybody's advice was much appreciated.  Good news.  I reinstalled Arch with all of the new info I received and my Arch linux box is on my local network and also getting out to the Internet!  Thanks again everyone Mark

Board footer