You are not logged in.

#76 2009-02-18 08:34:02

gradgrind

Re: larch-5.3 released

At present using the aufs package from Arch will cause this. There is a bug report, but it is taking a while to get acted upon, which is a shame because all it needs is a recompilation.

I have just posted a recompiled aufs package to the larch ftp repository, so with a bit of luck, if you rerun mklarch it should work now.

#77 2009-02-18 12:00:54

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Xyne wrote:

I'm hoping that the Arch iso team will eventually make tools available for creating custom live installation CDs with relative ease.

Xyne, did you try archiso?
Pull it from git (projects.archlinux.org), it contains many improvements over the last release and works imho quite nicely. (Aaron will do a new archiso release soon)

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#78 2009-02-19 01:10:39

rdmelin

gradgrind wrote:

I am trying to keep larchin working (when I notice a problem I fix it - I have a few bug fixes which I have not yet uploaded) but it can really only get better if people test it and tell me what doesn't work, or what could be done better.

And thank you for that.
I'm using larch as a basis for a zoneminder livecd and installer. It would make me sad to see the larch toolkit go unmaintained.
I hope to have a new CD up soon and expect I will get some reports back on larchin. I know already that one user is hoping for installation to raid support. So if you have time for a new feature please keep that one in mind.

Thanks again.

#79 2009-02-21 17:55:28

Sunny0815

Hello,

I'm a returning FaunOS user, not discovering Larch.

ATM I'm bugged by one question: How can I clone an existing larch usb stick with all modifications done from inside the system after booted? Especially if the target stick is another type than the original.

I assume some kind of "mksysliux", then copy all files?

Or can I larchify an larch system?

Regards from good ol' Germay
Matthias

#80 2009-02-21 20:53:57

gradgrind

Sunny0815 wrote:

Hello,

I'm a returning FaunOS user, not discovering Larch.

ATM I'm bugged by one question: How can I clone an existing larch usb stick with all modifications done from inside the system after booted? Especially if the target stick is another type than the original.

I'm not sure I understand the question exactly. Do you mean including modifications made during the current session (for example because your usb stick is full and you can't save the current session) or do you only mean using the running larch system to copy itself (as it was when last saved). The first is a bit more difficult and I haven't tested it, but in theory you should be able to larchify a larch system. However, you need to have enough space available in the folder /.larch (for example by mounting an empty partition or 'mount --bind'ing an empty folder on a partition there).

The second is easy:

Sunny0815 wrote:

I assume some kind of "mksysliux", then copy all files?

Yes, basically, but I think it has to be the other way round. Copy everything in /.livesys/medium to your new device and then run syslinux (see 'man syslinux').

I hope that helps.

#81 2009-02-22 08:40:36

Sunny0815

Hello,

to clarify my question: I want to clone an existing larch stick.
I want to keep one as it is and use the other one for some experimenting.

I will try the second solution - copy and syslinux.

Regards
Matthias

#82 2009-02-23 00:44:49

smartboyathome
Website

Is there any way to make the Larch LiveUSB persistant? smile

Smartboy

#83 2009-02-23 07:26:33

Sunny0815

Hello smartboyathome

it is persistant from the beginning - at least when running from a writable media.
There is a file called "save" in directory "larch" on the device. If this exists, the Larch system asks whether to save all changes on every shutdown/reboot.

Regards
Matthias

#84 2009-02-24 03:16:40

smartboyathome
Website

Oh, ok, thanks! big_smile

#85 2009-02-28 19:31:44

LTSmash
Website

Is there any way to use AIF with a larchified live-cd?

Proud Ex-Arch user.
Still an ArchLinux lover though.

Currently on Kubuntu 9.10

#86 2009-03-01 15:05:32

gradgrind

crimsonredmk wrote:

About those bug reports... I installed Larchin to install a Live CD, of course installed larchin-syscalls as well, and when I open up the installer, I get the usual window, click OK, and then I get an error, seen in the Screenshot. Click OK, another error. I am running larchin.py as root. Help?

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3

Yes, that's a known problem with fresh disks without a partition table. I hope I've fixed it in the development version, but you can avoid it by creating an msdos partition table on the disk before running larchin - use cfdisk or gparted.

#87 2009-03-01 15:09:08

gradgrind

LTSmash wrote:

I would think so - maybe someone could tell me exactly what it does? I know it's the new Arch Installer, I mean a few details and whether it needs something special?

Last edited by gradgrind (2009-03-01 15:15:27)

#88 2009-03-01 16:08:14

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

gradgrind wrote:
LTSmash wrote:

I would think so - maybe someone could tell me exactly what it does? I know it's the new Arch Installer, I mean a few details and whether it needs something special?

Not really.  It's much a cleaner/more modular/yadeyade implementation then the previous installer, but in the end it's just a set of bash scripts that call some external tools (like dialog, cfdisk,grep, sed, awk, lvcreate, mke2fs, ...).  The only thing it needs _more_ then the previous installer is the tools required to support lvm and dm_crypt (dm_crypt also needs 2 kernel modules)

4 8 15 16 23 42

#89 2009-03-01 16:19:04

gradgrind

Dieter@be wrote:
gradgrind wrote:
LTSmash wrote:

Not really.  It's much a cleaner/more modular/yadeyade implementation then the previous installer, but in the end it's just a set of bash scripts that call some external tools (like dialog, cfdisk,grep, sed, awk, lvcreate, mke2fs, ...).  The only thing it needs _more_ then the previous installer is the tools required to support lvm and dm_crypt (dm_crypt also needs 2 kernel modules)

What exactly does it install? Does it install the live system, or does it install just packages?

#90 2009-03-01 16:25:40

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

gradgrind wrote:

What exactly does it install? Does it install the live system, or does it install just packages?

What most people will use it for is installing a system, very similar to the old installer (it makes filesystems, you install packages on it, a bootloader, you do some configuring etc etc)
It can run from any system (an Arch Linux install cd is essentially just an Arch system that boots from cd and has some more packages installed, such as archlinux-installer and aif)

Last edited by Dieter@be (2009-03-01 16:26:49)

4 8 15 16 23 42

#91 2009-03-02 03:09:13

rdmelin

gradgrind wrote:

What most people will use it for is installing a system, very similar to the old installer (it makes filesystems, you install packages on it, a bootloader, you do some configuring etc etc)
It can run from any system (an Arch Linux install cd is essentially just an Arch system that boots from cd and has some more packages installed, such as archlinux-installer and aif)

I'm very interested in pursuing making this work with larch. The ability to install to LVM and RAID is what I'm after.

gradrind do you still have a copy of the old larchin based on the old installer? I'd like to see if I can do something with it.

#92 2009-03-02 10:14:01

gradgrind

rdmelin wrote:

gradgrind wrote:

I'm very interested in pursuing making this work with larch. The ability to install to LVM and RAID is what I'm after.

Well it sounds to me like probably the only thing necessary to get AIF working with larch is to install the package!

rdmelin wrote:

gradrind do you still have a copy of the old larchin based on the old installer? I'd like to see if I can do something with it.

If you really want to have a look at it (you mean the 'dialog' based thing?) it's still available with the old larch-4 code (archin + larchin):

svn export http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/larch/branches/larch4

#93 2009-03-02 15:17:28

rdmelin

AIF appears to be dialog  ui. I'm thinking aif+larchin to install the customized livecd system.
When I get all the parts in front of me I'll see if it's within my ability.

#94 2009-03-02 16:20:02

gradgrind

rdmelin wrote:

AIF appears to be dialog  ui. I'm thinking aif+larchin to install the customized livecd system.
When I get all the parts in front of me I'll see if it's within my ability.

Then I think the old larchin won't help you very much - the structure of a larch live system has changed somewhat since then. There is not very much that needs to be done to install a larch live system, but you should rather look at how it is done in the current larchin (it's basically just a copy of the whole system, then adjustment of a few files), I guess it shouldn't be too difficult to integrate the relevant bits into AIF.

#95 2009-03-02 19:26:46

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Good to hear you guys find aif interesting.  Yes just install the package, that should be it.
If you have questions or anything I'm glad to help.
Note that aif supports two user interfaces: ncurses (dialog) and plain CLI. see for yourself by using '-i cli' when invoking aif.

4 8 15 16 23 42

#96 2009-03-02 19:43:02

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

rdmelin wrote:

Note that aif does not support softraid (yet). patches welcome smile

4 8 15 16 23 42

#97 2009-03-03 07:40:31

yvonney

I am fortunate to be wishing to learn and use larch at this time. Larch will be extremely enjoyable for the obvious reasons. :--)  I have not had a good feeling or any real motivation about the other live distros out there. (for me, as I use and love ARCH)

My first objective is to answer questions after I read all I can. I have a few thoughts/questions though I will keep this email to being a thank you, and a, happy for the continued success of larch! I will write soon and hope to be able to add to topics, so I will read everything i can first. Wonderful to have this solution in such a clean Arch-like and flexible way. Bravo to all.

Last edited by yvonney (2009-03-03 07:41:27)

#98 2009-03-06 22:24:05

houms

Reading the larch page it says arch users can install larch via pacman but I get a package not found error.
pacman -Ss live cd
produces
extra/archiso 0.1-1
    ArchLinux livecd generation scripts
kdemod-core/kdemod-tribe 2913-1 (kdemod-uninstall)
    Tribe - Chakra LiveCD Installer
kdemod-core/kdemod-tribe-debug 2913-1 (kdemod-debug)
    Tribe - Chakra LiveCD Installer (debug symbols)

is archiso the same thing? Larch seems to still be active? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#99 2009-03-07 04:57:44

someothernick

houms wrote:

Reading the larch page it says arch users can install larch via pacman but I get a package not found error.
pacman -Ss live cd
produces
extra/archiso 0.1-1
    ArchLinux livecd generation scripts
kdemod-core/kdemod-tribe 2913-1 (kdemod-uninstall)
    Tribe - Chakra LiveCD Installer
kdemod-core/kdemod-tribe-debug 2913-1 (kdemod-debug)
    Tribe - Chakra LiveCD Installer (debug symbols)

is archiso the same thing? Larch seems to still be active? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://larch.berlios.de/dl/larch_download.html

#100 2009-03-08 09:40:13

yvonney

[SOLVED: I needed to install cdrkit to host - and also find that a reboot can be good if pacman and tmp folder get unhappy... :--) fantastically wonderful!!!! ]

---------- Original post below ----------

NOTE: maybe I must comment something out in pacman.conf? 
NOTE2: I have found buildlive in  /root/larch/larch  and even changed permissions to make executable. Nothing happens I think.

[NEED TO Build iso and burn though after install stops - see output at bottom please]

I am having a WONDERFUL time with basic larch useage. I would like to see more thanks and praise for this fine and unique BIG effort for us all to use. THANK YOU.

I am doing an xmini 1st run and all went beautifully. After installing all the packages I get this, so I am looking for mklive or buildlive though I am sure I have missed something.

So...after ALL the packages ae successfully installed to  /home/larchroot    I get this output after syncronizing databases and it stops. It seems to be not looking at what is in addedpacks as what you see in the sync below is what's on my running arch and not larch at all...

So... how do i create image and then burm iso from here? Also,  it may be good to have stopped even though I did not pass the -a argument.
May I change and add setting at this point?

OK... I hope for help on:

1) How do I create image and then burn ISO from where I am with the output below.

2) Can I add/change some setting to the files in /home/larchroot?

THIS IS FANTASTIC... I have had to try 2 other non-arch methods though I finally have understood enough about LARCH to be confident!  It is SO straight-forward with all ARCH and no JUNK!!!! thanks!!!!!

********** Generating locales **********

Generating locales...
  en_US.ISO-8859-1... done
  en_US.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.

************** Generating ssh keys to /home/larchroot/etc/ssh **************

// mklarch finished installation of Arch system
//
//
// **********************************************************
//
// *****    Creating live CD from system at '/home/larchroot'
//
// This will delete EVERYTHING under  ::: /home/larchroot/.larch/cd :::
//
// I really mean it ... Are you sure you want to do this?
// **********************************************************
[y/N]: [root@arch 12 larch 01:16]# y
:: Synchronizing package databases...
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
archlinuxfr is up to date
Checking for package upgrades...
no upgrades found.
==> Searching for new version on AUR
canto: up to date
python-waf: up to date
rxvt-unicode-256color: up to date
wifi-select: up to date
[root@arch 13 larch 01:17]#

Last edited by yvonney (2009-03-08 10:07:53)

Board footer