You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-03 14:05:00

buttons

[SOLVED] Can't make mouse sensitivity low enough in xorg-server 1.6.0

Every bloody time they release a new server, my mouse becomes unusably fast.  Every single time!

This time, we have adaptive pointer (de/ac)celeration, which as far as I can tell does nothing except make it easier to point at things despite the mouse moving too quickly.  It's still unusable.  It also appears that xorg has stopped obeying the "Sensitivity" setting.

So far, I have xset m 0 0 (no acceleration, no threshold)
and the following in my policy:

<match key="info.product" string="Razer DeathAdder">
      <merge key="input.x11_options.Sensitivity" type="string">0.1</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.Emulate3Buttons" type="string">False</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.AdaptiveDeceleration" type="string">2</merge>
    </match>

Setting Sensitivity to 0.00000001 gives the same behaviour.

Any ideas?

Last edited by buttons (2009-03-03 14:21:13)

Cthulhu For President!

#2 2009-03-03 14:09:22

buttons

Re: [SOLVED] Can't make mouse sensitivity low enough in xorg-server 1.6.0

Oh, and hal-device confirms that the Sensitivity key is getting merged.  It's ignoring it, anyway.

Cthulhu For President!

#3 2009-03-03 14:23:39

buttons

Apparently I forgot that you have to set xset m 1 0 to use any acceleration, including the ones that decelerate the pointer.

There is also a key called ConstantDeceleration which does just what it says, and should be used instead of Sensitivity.

so, xset m 1 0
and

<match key="info.product" string="Razer DeathAdder">
      <merge key="input.x11_options.Emulate3Buttons" type="string">False</merge>
      <merge key="input.x11_options.ConstantDeceleration" type="string">1.5</merge>
    </match>

Is at least usable.  Interesting is the fact that constantdeceleration is supposed to be an integer, but giving it fractional steps *seems* to work.  Maybe it's just me.

Cthulhu For President!

#4 2009-03-06 18:03:05

gav616

btw the second number changes the acceleration, soo 'xset m 0 0' will only give you the default config.

to disable acceleration you use '1', then '1/2' gives the speed.

'xset m 1/2 1'

although since i upgraded xorg, 'xset m' doesn't change the speed or acceleration I think its broken.

#5 2009-03-07 14:44:36

buttons

"The m option controls the mouse parameters; it may be abbreviated to 'm'.  The parameters for the mouse are `acceleration' and `threshold'.  The acceleration can be specified as an integer, or as a simple fraction.  The mouse, or whatever pointer the machine is connected to, will go `acceleration' times as fast when  it  travels  more  than `threshold' pixels in a short time" - From the xset man page

The second number only changes how far you have to move the mouse before acceleration kicks in.

And it definitely does change the speed... typing "xset m 6 0" makes the mouse warp to either side of the screen whenever I touch it.  I speculate that what may not work in your case is the divider.

Cthulhu For President!

#6 2010-01-08 22:49:17

dye464

I was really glad when i found this thread and pointer deceleration works, but it wouldn't be linux if something else would be broken.
He maps my side buttons same as button as scroll wheel (absolutely no difference in xev) so i can't bind \[XF86Back] and \[XF86Forward] to those keys.....

Did you have similiar problems? I have a Razer mouse, too a Diamondback so  maybe your xorg.conf and your full .fdi file could help.

Last edited by dye464 (2010-01-08 22:50:50)

Board footer