You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-18 18:18:43

skezzolo

dependency to various flash plugins: ttf-ms-fonts

I think that the package
ttf-ms-fonts
should be added as a dependency to all the various flash plugin packages (also in AUR's pkgbuilds), since it contains the necessary font for flash to display text.
Let me know if I can do something about this.

#2 2008-10-18 23:18:53

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: dependency to various flash plugins: ttf-ms-fonts

skezzolo wrote:

I think that the package
ttf-ms-fonts
should be added as a dependency to all the various flash plugin packages (also in AUR's pkgbuilds), since it contains the necessary font for flash to display text.

I don't have that package installed and I can use Flash just fine. Are there any sites in particular that you're having trouble with?

--EDIT--

Of course... welcome to the forums.

Last edited by skottish (2008-10-18 23:19:30)

#3 2008-10-19 08:57:41

skezzolo

Hi Skottish,
thanks for the welcome and for the answer.

Youtube: couldn't see any text in the related videos frame @ the end of the currently playing video. Also, no text in grey boxes during videos.
Deezer.com: no text at all, everywhere.
Everywhere with flash involved: no texts.

I'm on x86_64 hw, so I thought that it might have been related to the nspluginwrapper trick, but I have been able to reproduce the problem on a 32bit machine. I also thought of some quircks between Flash/NSpluginWrapper and Firefox, so I tried Opera w. flashplugin-opera with identical results. I also tried the beta version of flash10, again identical results. Surfing the net in search for an answer I found some Ubuntu-er having troubles with bad-displayed text in flash. They told him to update the font package, so I thought looking for font-related troubles might have been a good idea. I downloaded some fonts packages one-by-one until flash got running to 100%.

Any thoughts about this?

-------
Jacopo
DANGER! I'm a newbie!

#4 2008-10-19 14:17:24

skottish
Forum Fellow

I'm also on 64 bit running Flash 10. I went to the Deezer site and there's text everywhere, in all three Flash windows (the giant one on the left, and the two small ones on the right with the big ad in between them). I'm using Flashblock, so I have to turn everything on, as well I'm using Privoxy so the ad isn't visible. The only three font sets that I have installed from pacman are ttf-bitstream-vera, ttf-dejavu, and ttf-freefont. I have a few more fonts installed, but none of them overlap the MS font libraries.

#5 2008-10-19 22:24:35

jcolinzheng
Website

skezzolo wrote:

I think that the package
ttf-ms-fonts

Not really, flash itself doesn't require any particular font.  If some flash programs do, they are poorly written and deserve no attention from the distro's point of view.

Last edited by jcolinzheng (2008-10-19 22:24:49)

#6 2008-10-20 10:44:49

scarecrow

ttf-ms-fonts is surely enough NOT a dependency for flashplugin, just because some webmasters don't know how to code...

Microshaft delenda est

#7 2008-10-20 11:31:35

skezzolo

Ok, I got the message.
Thanks all for the help in understanding!
Once again, this is a wonderful community.

#8 2009-02-26 19:03:48

MuPuF
Website

Heya,

I was also wondering why flash just suddenly became crappy with websites like deezer (I forgot I reinstalled my system).
Installing ttf-ms-fonts solved the problem, thx for it.

What do you think about recommending people to install ms fonts when installing the flash plugin (by putting it as an optional dependency) ?
If you agree with it, I will file a request on the bug-tracker for it.

bye

#9 2009-02-26 19:07:30

skottish
Forum Fellow

MuPuF wrote:

What do you think about recommending people to install ms fonts when installing the flash plugin (by putting it as an optional dependency) ?
If you agree with it, I will file a request on the bug-tracker for it.

Because it's not a dependency. I don't have ttf-ms-fonts installed and deezer renders fonts fine for me. It is possible that Flash is looking for something in a particular font family, but in no way does Flash require MS fonts.

#10 2009-02-27 16:08:36

iBertus

I would go along with the particular font family idea of skottish. Perhaps a post_install message that says "hey! you might need to install some fonts for proper text display in flash!" or you could makke ttf-bitstream-vera or similar the optdep.

#11 2009-02-27 17:04:38

skottish
Forum Fellow

iBertus wrote:

I would go along with the particular font family idea of skottish. Perhaps a post_install message that says "hey! you might need to install some fonts for proper text display in flash!" or you could makke ttf-bitstream-vera or similar the optdep.

And since Bitstream Vera is also on Windows, it would make sense that's why it's working here.

[minor bump]
By the way everyone, Bitstream Vera is on Windows, so if you use it as your default font in your word processor, you can avoid the horrible rendering of Times New Roman on your machine and still have it translate well when you send .doc files to others.
[/minor bump]

#12 2009-03-03 16:41:23

mar77i

*bump*

thanks, I think there should be mentioned something about youtube, or at least flash and the ms-ttf package in the wiki on http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … figuration.
I've been looking for this in days - ok, without looking here, but - you know what I mean?

<rickh> f(Arch) = ((Gentoo - Compiletime) + (Slackware + Depency resolution and Downloading))

#13 2009-03-03 17:38:54

skottish
Forum Fellow

Before anyone goes and puts in the wiki that ttf-ms-fonts is somehow a requirement for Flash, please try this experiment:

Uninstall ttf-ms-fonts and install ttf-bitstream-vera. Try the sites again.

I don't have ttf-ms-fonts installed. I have only bitstream and dejavu TTF fonts, which are basically the same font. Every single Flash site I've ever come across including all of them posted in this thread works correctly. There have been no exceptions.

I'm not trying to be standoffish, but I don't want misinformation appearing in the wiki.

****Other Mods****

Don't bump this to TGN yet. It's possible that there's something more going on here.

Board footer