You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-12 16:23:57

masterjau

Kernel recompilation on Ubuntu

Hello,

I'm new to ArchLinux and I'm trying to use it. The problem I have is about my laptop. CPU is overheating after running windows or Linux. I have found what is the problem and I know that new 2.6.27 kernel has a fix for it. On Ubuntu 8.10 it works as it has 2.6.27 kernel. I tried it and it is fine. However I want to use ArchLinux wink.
I read wiki pages on compiling kernel using manual and automatic way. Unfortunately I can't use any of them as my computer overheats fast and then reboots. The only way I found to get the new kernel is to compile it on Ubuntu and then copy the kernel, update modules and create intramfs on Arch. I tried to configure the kernel but I'm quite new to Linux .. and it doesn't boot up after adding GRUB entry. So my question is:
How to get the original Arch .config kernel configuration file? Is it the basic default .config I get with kernel from kernel org? Or maybe default kernel is somehow configured in Arch and available for download?

Thanks,
MJ

#2 2009-02-12 17:18:44

xdeusx

Re: Kernel recompilation on Ubuntu

Arch Linux uses the 2.6.28.4 kernel. It should be superior to the 2.6.27 kernel that comes with Ubuntu.
Check if your problem is solved, just by using the kernel which is provided by Arch Linux

#3 2009-02-12 17:25:40

masterjau

I checked /var/log/kernel.log and it says it's using 2.6.25-ARCH. I downloaded the 2008.6 CD. Isn't 2.6.28 provided by automatic updates? I cannot configure network when my laptops overheats so fast.

#4 2009-02-12 17:29:01

Blind

Time to move to Antarctica wink

On a serious note: you could download the kernel tar.gz from the Arch ftp server and then, once you installed Arch from the CD, do a pacman -U kernel26.tar.gz.
Maybe you have to move your computer to the ice compartment of your fridge.

#5 2009-02-12 17:38:43

masterjau

Is installing kernel as easy as pacman -U kernel? That's what I call KISS wink. Ok, I'll try to find the file on the server. There is some snow outside so I could work there wink.

Thanks for your help, guys

#6 2009-02-12 17:59:13

skottish
Forum Fellow

masterjau wrote:

Is installing kernel as easy as pacman -U kernel? That's what I call KISS wink. Ok, I'll try to find the file on the server. There is some snow outside so I could work there wink.

You don't need to just upgrade the kernel, you need to upgrade the system. The iso that you're using is far behind where Arch currently is. So, pacman -Syy to refresh the database, then pacman -Suy. You're going to run into the klibc error, which has it's own thread. As well there's going to be a bit of work to get everything working they the way that it's supposed to. All of it is covered in the forums.

#7 2009-02-12 18:02:45

masterjau

Thanks, Scottish. The only problem I see is that I don't have a working network connection. But I'll read forums and try to see what is to be done.  I want Arch, and I will have it wink.

#8 2009-02-12 20:54:23

kludge

if your laptop is modern enough to overheat that fast, it should also be modern enough that you can use the bios to underclock it... that might allow it to run slow (and thus cool) enough to give you the time to configure a network connection and update.

alternately, since ubuntu *doesn't* overheat your laptop, you could chroot into the arch install (as described in installation guide on the wiki, iirc) and update from there.

the arch kernel package is kernel26, and the PKGBUILD available from the ABS contains the file 'config' with the arch kernel configuration.

is that at all helpful?

[23:00:16]    dr_kludge | i want to invent an olfactory human-computer interface, integrate it into the web standards, then produce my own forked browser.
[23:00:32]    dr_kludge | can you guess what i'd call it?
[23:01:16]    dr_kludge | nosilla.
[23:01:32]    dr_kludge | i really should be going to bed.  i'm giggling madly about that.

#9 2009-02-13 15:19:46

quarkup
Website

skottish wrote:
masterjau wrote:

You don't need to just upgrade the kernel, you need to upgrade the system. The iso that you're using is far behind where Arch currently is. So, pacman -Syy to refresh the database, then pacman -Suy. You're going to run into the klibc error, which has it's own thread. As well there's going to be a bit of work to get everything working they the way that it's supposed to. All of it is covered in the forums.

or even
pacman -Syyu

to update databases and upgrade all system big_smile

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

#10 2009-02-13 18:35:19

methuselah

Maybe install using the FTP method to get the most recent packages from base/dev.

#11 2009-03-03 20:39:59

jyro215

Masterjau, I'm having a similar problem with kernels over 2.6.27.6.  The kapcid process takes up >20% of the cpu at all times, which causes temps to rise.  Can you check your running processes with the 'top' command to see if this is your problem?  If it is, I can give you a PKGBUILD for a lower kernel version that doesn't experience the problem.

Board footer