You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-21 17:37:52

neilward

[SOLVED] Setting up the Compose Key in Fluxbox

I have been going 'round and 'round with this, so I am deferring to those more knowledgeable than I. I have successfully set up the Compose key in Gnome, but I have been trying to migrate to Fluxbox. To my surprise, I can not seem to get the Compose key to work in Fluxbox, while the AltGR key seems to be working fine (the exact opposite of my Gnome setup: Compose works, AltGr doesn't). Compose is much more intuitive, therefore I would prefer to use it. The following is the relevant section of  /etc/X11/XF86Config

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "keyboard"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
    Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    Option "XkbOptions" "compose:lwin,grp:switch"
    Option "XkbOptions" "grp:menu_toggle"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us,ru"
    Option "XkbVariant" ",phonetic"
    Option "caps:shiftlock,shift:breaks_caps"
EndSection

The keyboard that I am using is a Creative Prodikeys PC-MIDI, however my Saitek Eclipse II shows the same behavior.

On my netbook (AAOne), which I set up Fluxbox from the beginning, the compose key works perfectly. The Only difference that I can easily identify is that my netbook is using the file, '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' rather than '/etc/X11/XF86Config'. I have tried to retrace the steps that I used in setting up my netbook, but I am simply stumped.
Thank you.

Last edited by neilward (2009-03-03 22:20:06)

#2 2009-02-22 00:12:02

pauldonnelly

Re: [SOLVED] Setting up the Compose Key in Fluxbox

Could you just set it up with xmodmap? In my book, anthing that doesn't involve xorg.conf is a good thing.

#3 2009-02-22 18:52:28

neilward

pauldonnelly, I will consider that as a possible solution. Xmodmap was not my first choice (partially because Arch doesn't have a Wiki on Xmodmap as far as I can tell), but if it's the only way....

#4 2009-03-03 22:27:42

neilward

So, the way I fixed this was by generating a new xorg.conf file using hwd -x. I then replaced the /etc/X11/XF86Config with the new /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and restarted X (while saving a copy of the old XF86Config file). This didn't work completely because the display was bad, however the compose key worked, so I opened up two terminals and copied all of the relevant information from the new xorg.file to the XF86Config file (commenting out redundant or conflicting lines from the original XF86 in case there were any problems). I then put the XF86Connfig back in /etc/X11/ and it works perfectly.
Thanks me... I'm welcome.

Board footer