You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-04 13:34:05

wsiddall

Using Enlightenment for everyday

Hey Guys,
I've switched around with different window managers from gnome, kde, xfce, fluxbox and icewm and of them all, I'm becoming more and more impressed with what's going on in e17.  I also bought an openmoko phone and seeing what's being done on there with e17 is really creative and ingenious.

Now, that being said, I'm in the process of switching my laptop to e17 but am running into a small problem.  I got the desktop setup, I got my theme the way I want it, everything's great.  But the hitch I've got is with mounting filesystems.  When I plug in an external hard disk, it creates a desktop icon but when I try to find it's mount point, it points to a 'file://org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/...' location.  The problem I have with this is I do a lot of photography and use digiKam as my primary organizer.  The library is on my external drive and for it to work, I need it to mount using a physical mount point.  The other thing is it doesn't recognize my camera at all, so even if I mounted it manually, I still can't use my camera.

There's two questions I now have.  Is it possible to get mounting to work properly?  Also, if e17 can't do this, how would I instead keep my gnome desktop for the backend and use the e17 wm and panels?

Thanks in advance

#2 2009-03-04 14:58:19

bgc1954

Re: Using Enlightenment for everyday

First off, e17 file manager is flaky so I always unload the module to get rid of it.  Then it's just a matter of picking a file manager that you like--I use pcmanfm which is popular around here and lots of Archers also use Thunar.  If you like Nautilus from gnome, you can use that too.  You may run into automounting permissions issues that have been happening to people lately but just read through the Hal wiki carefully and you should be fine.
Personally, I gave up on the digikam thing and with my Nikon camera, I have the option to use it as usb mass storage device rather than PTP so it mounts like an external drive would in pcmanfm--not very elegant but works for me.  There are plenty of posts on how people have gotten their cameras to work though. smile

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

Board footer