You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-03 04:31:08

arew264
Website

Suspend/Resume... Ugh

I just put Arch back on my laptop (Windows went on there for a while because I couldn't play FF7 under wine).
I had s2disk and s2ram working with no problems before I took Arch off, and now instead of suspending/hibernating, I get a flashing cursor (from pm-*) or "Snapshotting System..." (from s2*).
I don't remember doing anything special before to get these working. My laptop is a Compaq Presario v5000 (actual model is V5201US), and the only thing I can think of that could have changed would be the new Catalyst drivers for my Radeon XPress 200M. I'll try suspending when X isn't running to see if that could be the issue. Oh, and since I put Arch back on my laptop, I switched from KDE to Gnome (Gnome runs far better on my 512 MB of RAM - to avoid a holy war, I should mention that I still run KDE on my desktop and I feel quite comfortable with both).

Is there anything I should try to get this working again? My computer is whitelisted for s2disk, but s2disk and s2ram both don't work.

An Update:
When I don't run X, I can run s2disk with no problems (s2ram gives me a blank screen on resume). I guess that points to the ATI drivers, but what should I do about them?
This might be related to another problem I have where I can't kill X and restart it. I normally run GDM as a daemon, but when I stop it, Xorg starts infinite looping and can't be killed. If I kill -9 it, I can't start another X server.

Last edited by arew264 (2009-03-03 04:38:13)

#2 2009-03-05 02:42:29

arew264
Website

Re: Suspend/Resume... Ugh

Should I just try downgrading Catalyst?

#3 2009-03-05 14:10:45

LeoSolaris

The downgrade may help, and it may be something to do with your current xorg server. Try upgrading to the xorg in testing, that may solve it for you.

Are you running laptop-mode-tools as well? I had noticed that my pm-* stopped working, but I think that had to do with laptop-mode-tools and the 'blank screen' DPMS or what ever it's called. If that's the case, try uninstalling lmt and try out your suspends to see if either work.

So far the way I currently have it set after uninstalling laptop-mode completely is a reinstall of laptop-mode with gnome-power-manager. I have suspend/resume, and most of the time it functions properly. (if, for instance, it doesn't want to shift the cpufreq, a 'sudo /etc/laptop-mode restart' or a 'sudo /etc/gnome-power-manager restart' gets it working right.)

I do have to make sure that lmt is fully loaded before gmp in the rc.conf, which has bumped by boot time up to 16 secs rather than the nice svelt ~11 I had it running at.

~sigh~

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#4 2009-03-05 16:35:13

arew264
Website

I downgraded catalyst and catalyst-utils to 9.1, and everything works perfectly.
My graphics card is an ATI xPress 200M, and ATI/AMD has been alternating between a working release and a broken release of catalyst on this card for quite some time, so I'm used to using the old version.

Board footer