You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-06 18:40:52

mcover

Xfce 4.6 session binds to tcp port (ICE layer)

As topic.

However to be more specific, since the new Xfce4 xfce4-session automatically listens on a (random?) port. This being a tcp-binding to the ICE layer.

See xfce4-session man page:

--disable-tcp
              Disable  binding  to  TCP ports in the ICE layer. This is not possible on every platform. If you
              use this option on a platform that does not support it, xfce4-session will print a warning  message and ignore the setting.

Thus, by default its enabled.

netstat -apn

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name   
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:45505           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      5318/xfce4-session  
[...]
tcp        0      0 :::42892                :::*                    LISTEN      5318/xfce4-session  
[...]

Since I'm paranoid this seems to me like a security risk. It is possibly fixable by appending --disable-tcp to the xfce4-session entry in /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc. Or is there a better place?

Is this worth putting in the bug-tracker, is it intended, should Arch by default disable xfce4-session listening to a tcp-port? Or is there a similar entry somewhere already?

In my opinion, it should be disabled by default, since if it is not specifically required, its just another hole in the system.

m.

Board footer