You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-05 23:59:45

jaydoc

e17 on a fresh Arch Linux + gtk apps... auto mounting and other issues

hi all...

I have gone through the forums and found a similar but-not-quite-the-same thread about this, which is why I am posting a new thread - so, please excuse any redundancy/laziness.

As the topic says, I am making a new Arch Install, on my laptop that has/had arch+kdemod on it for quite some time now. I have now tarred that old install and put it on my desktop that has more RAM than this lappy. So I went with a minimalist approach - after googling for long, I managed to put together something that takes up about 350 MB RAM, when running the desktop, firefox, mplayer, openoffice, two or three terminals, and conky - which is all pretty good. But I am having some teething troubles in many issues, so any help in the following is most appreciated.

My set-up and the problems....

WM - e17, from the repos (I tried, but could not get the easy_e17 script to work properly)
FM - emelfm2

- I am not able to get my USBs, CDs, DVDs etc to mount automagically. I have HAL from the repos. This is my fstab.

/dev/cdrom             /media/cd   auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
/dev/dvd               /media/dvd  auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
#/dev/fd0               /media/fl   auto    user,noauto             0      0
          This setup gave me no trouble at all when using Arch-Kdemod. Now I have to be root to mount from the command line, and can not auto mount cd/dvd/USBs.

E17 file manager enabled is also no help. 

browser - firefox, dillo
terminal - mrxvt
editor - leafpad
audio - mpd + sonata
video - gmplayer
sys monitor - conky
cd/dvd burner - recorder, from the repos
Openoffice, PSPP for statistics
Pidgin

Wengophone2
            at the moment I am behind a proxy and haven't yet tried it, but can anyone confirm it is still working...?

epdfview
chmsee
rtorrent
feh, exhibit
dreamchess

That is the whole setup, in case it helps someone.

Thanks for reading, and waiting for suggestions about the auto mount issue.

Last edited by jaydoc (2009-03-06 00:01:34)

It takes a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious - A N Whitehead

#2 2009-03-06 01:23:12

Fingel

Re: e17 on a fresh Arch Linux + gtk apps... auto mounting and other issues

I had the same issue as you for a while. I found a guide on the wiki for using udev to autmount volumes.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ude … SB_devices
Here is my sdcard.rules for automount my SDcard slot:
http://horrorhotel.hopto.org/misc/sdcard.rules

Hope that helps.

#3 2009-03-06 16:09:35

Magnu5

I might have had a similar problem a while back, even tough my user was a member of the required groups (disk,optical,storage), I couldn't automount, or even read usb drives or cdroms. The one thing that  got it working for me was to use either gdm or kdm as login manager. Don't know why it works, but it does.

#4 2009-03-06 22:49:25

EVRAMP
Website

Edit your .xinitrc like this:
exec ck-launch-session enlightenment (or whatever WM you use).
GDM and KDM are launching your WM this way automatically.

#5 2009-03-06 23:19:09

jaydoc

hi all...

Thanks for the replies.

@fingel... That udev rules addition on the wiki gave me the jitters initially as it looked like I was hacking away at my systems innards, BUT, after trying everything else, including things mentioned here, nothing worked. So I finally did the udev thing, and now the USB is mounting fine.

However I still cannot get DVDs or CDs to mount. I am added to the optical group, and yet I have to click the mount icon in emelfm2 to be able to mount the CD or DVD - the only consolation is that I am able to mount it as normal user.

Any help there....? I haven't modified anything from the usual install, except for this udev thingy.

And, How can I make the mrxvt terminal show me more lines on scrolling up. Now it is allowing me to scroll up only by 10 lines or so, and I am having to pipe through less to be able to view anything meaningful in commands like yaourt -Ss

Last edited by jaydoc (2009-03-06 23:55:37)

It takes a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious - A N Whitehead

Board footer