You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-24 18:41:23

Blazeix

urxvt + xcompmgr troubles

Hi, I'm trying to get a slightly transparent terminal for my Awesome window manager setup. I'm using urxvt and xcompmgr to get true transparency.

I'm having trouble when I set urvt*depth to 32 while "xcompmgr -n" is running. Awesome normally has a bright border active windows and a dull border around inactive windows, however, when xcompmgr and urxvt*depth is set, this border becomes competely transparent, letting the background shine through. This normally wouldn't be too much of an issue, but my background is a similar color to the "active window border" color in awesome, and it makes it look like every urxvt window is the active window on the desktop.

No other program has this problem, so I think it must be something with urxvt. Additionally, if the depth isn't set or xcompmgr isn't running this problem does not appear. However, there is obviously no transparency either.

I'm not sure if there is a setting in Xdefaults that will fix it; I've tried a lot of settings like internalBorder, externalBorder, etc, but none of them seem to be what I'm looking for.

I'm under the impression that Awesome+urxvt+xcompmgr is a somewhat common combination with Arch; do other people have this problem?

Awesome: 3.1.2
urxvt: 9.06
xcompmgr: 1.1.3

.Xdefaults:

urxvt*scrollBar:               false
urxvt*font:                    -*-terminus-medium-*-*-*-20-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
urxvt*boldFont:                -*-terminus-bold-*-*-*-20-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

URxvt*internalBorder:       false
URxvt*externalBorder:       false
URxvt*thickness:            0
urxvt*borderWidth:          0

urxvt*depth:          32
urxvt*background:     rgba:02f0/04f0/04f0/cccc
urxvt*foreground:     #ffffff

Last edited by Blazeix (2009-03-06 22:14:49)

#2 2009-03-06 22:15:12

Blazeix

Re: urxvt + xcompmgr troubles

*bump*

Am I the only one with this problem? If anybody else uses these programs, are they not experiencing this? If not, it must be local to my system. Thanks for any help.

#3 2009-03-06 23:44:24

skottish
Forum Fellow

There are three or four other current threads about problems with urxvt and xcompmgr. Maybe one of those will help.

#4 2009-03-07 02:10:31

Blazeix

I've done a lot of searching, both in the Arch forums and out of them, and I can't really find anything related to this.  I can find a bunch of posts about enabling transparency, but that's not the issue I'm having.

This issue might be due to the convergence of several issues among xcompmgr, urxvt, and awesome. If there is a thread lurking around somewhere that I missed, I can't find it.

Board footer