You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-07 11:19:33

ktzqbp

Releasing right-click acts as left click

Hey guys,

Using the latest and greatest Arch64, and thanks to its lightning-fast reponsiveness, I've started realising a problem with my Xorg server: releasing from right-click acts as a left-click.

For example, while using Firefox on GNOME, if I right-click on a webpage and then move my cursor over the 'Back' command before I've lifted right-click, then I'll unintentionally go to the previous page. This is becoming increasingly noticeable and disruptive, so I'm looking for a way to stop this.

I'm using a Razer Lachesis mouse with an nVidia 7600GT, using the latest kernel, Xorg, drivers and GNOME.

Can anyone help me out?

#2 2009-03-07 12:58:40

mikesd
Website

Re: Releasing right-click acts as left click

Do you mean the back button in the context menu? If so releasing the right mouse button on that menu item does the same thing on my setup though I have never noticed it myself. When right clicking the menu opens slightly below the cursor position so the only way I can get this behaviour that you speak of is to move the mouse with the right mouse button held down. It doesn't happen during normal use. When you right click is the first menu item highlighted? If so perhaps try changing your gtk/gnome theme perhaps and see if it stills happens. Maybe the spacing/position of this menu is off on your setup for somereason.

Last edited by mikesd (2009-03-07 13:01:47)

#3 2009-03-07 13:24:19

ktzqbp

mikesd wrote:

Do you mean the back button in the context menu?

Sorry, yes; not the back button in the toolbar. But that was just given as an example. The same thing can happen after right-clicking a link and accidentally selecting "Open Link in a New Window", or even in Nautilus or on the desktop and accidentally Creating a New Folder.

I just have to be moving the cursor in the direction of where the context menu would open when right-clicking, and I can pretty much be guaranteed of accidentally selecting the first option in the menu.

mikesd wrote:

When you right click is the first menu item highlighted?

Nope.

mikesd wrote:

If so perhaps try changing your gtk/gnome theme perhaps and see if it stills happens.

Well, I'm only using Shiki Colours which is a fairly stable theme. But I tried it on a few of the standard GNOME themes (Clearlooks, High/Low Contrast) and the same thing was still happening.

Good to see another Arch Aussie by the way wink

Last edited by ktzqbp (2009-03-07 13:41:38)

#4 2009-03-07 13:33:04

Procyon

Can you hold right button, and release it on Home next to the address bar, and it will go to home?

If I hold right button, move it to View page source, release, then it accepts that as View page source.

If it's just that, you could try using a script in Stylish (I use "Ffx context-menu: extreme minimalism!" that removes context menu items. My first item is "Reload Every >" which is a submenu from tabmix plus.

#5 2009-03-07 13:41:01

ktzqbp

Procyon wrote:

Can you hold right button, and release it on Home next to the address bar, and it will go to home?

Nope.

Procyon wrote:

If it's just that, you could try using a script in Stylish (I use "Ffx context-menu: extreme minimalism!" that removes context menu items. My first item is "Reload Every >" which is a submenu from tabmix plus.

As I said above, this problem isn't confined to Firefox; the same thing happens on other program's right-click context menus as well.

#6 2009-03-07 13:47:02

mikesd
Website

ktzqbp wrote:

Good to see another Arch Aussie by the way wink

Australians. They are bloody everywhere! smile

Yeah, that is strange mouse behaviour. I can make it happen but only by trying *really* hard. Maybe your mouse is set up with a high sensitivity? Try dialling it back in your WM control panel maybe?

#7 2009-03-07 13:57:41

Procyon

@mikesd: +1 for sensitivity. You need to move the mouse 5 pixels down and 4 pixels right (or 4 down 5 right, see Numpad mouse (shift+numlock)), that shouldn't happen unless you want it to.

#8 2009-03-07 21:12:21

HashBox

I also have this problem, I have this stupid habit of sitting on a page in firefox and right click, left click, right click, left click etc and what is really strange is most of the time it is the "View Page Info" window that pops up for me, even though the button for that is half way down the context menu. Seems to happen if I right click and move my mouse to the left or right before the menu has opened but isn't all that reproducible for me.

Board footer