You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-08 22:41:00

Maos

Syslog shuts down if config file is written as .pacnew file

Hi!

Just noticed that my syslog-ng config file is was written as /etc/syslog-ng.conf.pacnew and as the formats doesn't seem to be compatible syslog just shuts down with a lot of output (which for me scrolled of the top of my screen).
This of course stops the log-files from being updated.

Added a bug on that: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13705

Last edited by Maos (2009-03-08 22:47:57)

#2 2009-03-08 23:21:54

pointone
Wiki Admin

Re: Syslog shuts down if config file is written as .pacnew file

PEBKAC

It's the user's responsibility to compare and update their config files when there is an update. Pacman always informs the user when a configuration file is installed as *.pacnew.

*.pacsavs are created only on package removal. Please read <http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pac … save_Files>.

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#3 2009-03-08 23:34:31

Maos

Usully I wouldn't care (and maybe even agree) but for some core services I think it is important to take "special steps" to keep them running  and syslog is one fo them...
Also those update messages are easy to miss with a lot of updates.

Oups, about the .pacsave but I seem to remember there was some update that did something "special" to backup user modified configs and install new one to keep it running.

#4 2009-03-09 00:22:51

pointone
Wiki Admin

There's no really "easy" way to tackle this issue.

If you simply blindly replace the existing config file, what happens to users who have extensively modified their syslog? Imagine a user is sending all their logs to another server. Replace the config and suddenly they're logging to /var/ locally! The logs quickly fill up their /var/ and takes down the server. D'oh!

Pacman demands that users not blindly update their system. If "warning: /etc/syslog-ng.conf installed as /etc/syslog-ng.conf.pacnew" isn't obvious enough, then said users should probably reconsider their choice of Arch Linux and/or pacman.

As an aside, does syslog-ng shut down immediately after updating? Or, rather, does it simply fail to restart after updating? If the former, this may be a more serious issue. Otherwise, if anyone is running a system where syslog-ng absolutely positively must never shut down, they really ought to understand that pacman's output is meant to be READ.

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#5 2009-03-09 19:16:49

Maos

Ok, I am ready to agree with this...

Board footer