You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-10 12:27:29

blackhole
Website

[SOLVED] How to bind volume function keys to xfce4-mixer

Hi guys,

on my Latitude D620 laptop sound is working fine under XFCE and I can also adjust the sound volume via the mixer item in my XFCE panel.
However I can't control the sound volume via my laptop's sound function keys.

The function keys are recognized in "Application Shortcuts" of XFCE's keyboard settings, though.

Now I'm wondering whether I can make xfce4-mixer react on my function keys similar to KDE's mixer by just binding an alsa channel to the keys via a dropwdown-menu or something? Is there some setting in xfce4-mixer that I have missed?

Or do I have to manually bind the shortcuts to some alsamixer commands? If so, how would the commands be for my volume-up, volume-down and mute button for the master channel?

TIA,
Blackhole

Last edited by blackhole (2009-03-10 17:13:51)

Coming closer and closer to the ultimate goal: replacing boring old Windows XP desktop with shiny new Arch KDE 4 desktop. ^^
Already registered? Your vote counts!

#2 2009-03-10 12:52:13

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [SOLVED] How to bind volume function keys to xfce4-mixer

xfce4 mixer (and pretty much all mixers around) are just frontends for alsa.
What you really want is your keys to change the alsa volume.

All keyboards I've owned/tested do this by default, so can't help you there.

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#3 2009-03-10 17:13:32

blackhole
Website

Never mind. After trying many different google search phrases I came across this Austrian blog entry: http://schman.at/shortcuts-mit-xfce-setzen

The solution is like I guessed: go to Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts and add three shortcuts for your function keys. The commands should be:

amixer set Master 5%+
amixer set Master 5%-
amixer set Master toggle

Works like a charm! big_smile

Coming closer and closer to the ultimate goal: replacing boring old Windows XP desktop with shiny new Arch KDE 4 desktop. ^^
Already registered? Your vote counts!

#4 2013-11-18 12:46:50

stbinan

In aur now there is a package named xfce4-volumed, reboot after install it then all the default shortcuts will work with bubble notification!

#5 2013-11-18 13:42:07

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Welcome to the forums stbinan. Thank you for that information but it is already in the wiki. Please also take notice that this is an old thread (a little over four and a half years old) and we discourage bumping of old threads. You can read more about our policies in the Forum Etiquette. Closing.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

Board footer