You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-02 03:35:44

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

vim compiliation

ok a handful of things here - first off, why are vim and gvim 2 different executables?

MY_VIM_BINARY -v : enters "Vi" console mode
MY_VIM_BINARY -g : enters "GUI" mode

why not have gvim replace vim and symlink "vim" to "gvim -v".

That said, why is it that if I compile my own version of gvim using the same PKGBUILD with an --enable-pythoninterp addition to the configure flag, it defaults to running in Vi mode - is it based on the name?  if that is so, couldn't vim anf gvim be symlinks as stated above but without the -v flag?

yeah I just tested that - I had my gvim named py-gvim to prevent overwriting...
anyway, what about the symlinking mentioned?

#2 2004-11-02 05:51:34

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: vim compiliation

You can't have one package replace files in another package.  It's not very nice.

It also makes managing the files more difficult.  Package A has file /usr/bin/A and package B has the same file.  Package B is marked (somehow) to replace that file in package A.

What happens if I install A, then B, then remove B?  What file is in /usr/bin/A?  Where did I get it from?

What if I install B, then A, then remove B?  Hopefully you'd want the same thing, but it's an entirely different way to get to it.

It makes the pacman database a lot harder to work with too.  It adds a lot of complication.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-11-02 10:50:58

paranoos

also, you shouldn't need to install gtk2 and related packages simply to run vim in the console. vim is part of the base install system on the cd, and gtk2 is not (for obvious reasons). i can understand the frustration that vim and gvim can be packaged together, but they are separate (with good reason, as i stated above).

perhaps we can make a gvim package that doesn't require vim, but instead conflicts with vim, because we can provide the gui and ncurses functionality in one binary that depends on gtk2, and the plain vim package won't provide the gui. this way, somebody who wants just ncurses can have it, and somebody who wants the gui doesn't have 2 separate binaries installed, but one binary and a symlink.

#4 2004-11-02 15:49:10

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

naw, I was saying gvim just replaces=('vim') or conflicts or somthing so you dont get pacman messages every -Syu.
The only down side I see is that gvim currently has one the executable, and vim has all the extra *junk*... however if you total it up:

current: vim + gvim = all docs/files + 2 executables
mine: vim + gvim = all docs/files + 1 executable + 1 soft link

you'd gain a wee bit of space... but it's not important - I'm just wondering...

I also submitted a bug report due to the fact that the vim PKGBUILD supplies SYS_VIMRC_FILE but the gvim PKGBUILD does not add SYS_GVIMRC_FILE... FYI

Board footer